michelia champaca in lahore

Discuss plants with fragrant flowers or leaves.

Moderator: Izhar

alimunir
Posts: 22
Joined: June 28th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Country: Pakistan
City: Lahore

michelia champaca in lahore

Post by alimunir » June 28th, 2012, 4:09 pm

has anyone tried growing michelia champaca in Lahore?? did it bloom?

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor
Posts: 4303
Joined: April 14th, 2011, 1:01 pm

Re: michelia champaca in lahore

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan » June 29th, 2012, 8:59 am

alimunir wrote:has anyone tried growing michelia champaca in Lahore?? did it bloom?
I got 5 seedlings, gave one to a friend out of 4 three were planted in the ground this spring,they all died in June. I am left with one 3feet tall plant in a pot under the shade of a tree with burnt leaf margins.

M Farooq
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1756
Joined: July 3rd, 2011, 4:31 am
Country: Pakistan
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: michelia champaca in lahore

Post by M Farooq » June 29th, 2012, 11:50 am

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
alimunir wrote:has anyone tried growing michelia champaca in Lahore?? did it bloom?
I got 5 seedlings, gave one to a friend out of 4 three were planted in the ground this spring,they all died in June. I am left with one 3feet tall plant in a pot under the shade of a tree with burnt leaf margins.
Arif sahab could you tell us where you got the seeds from? I had ordered from USA but I am told that it never germinated at home. Secondly do you have the white one or the orange one?

alimunir
Posts: 22
Joined: June 28th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Country: Pakistan
City: Lahore

Re: michelia champaca in lahore

Post by alimunir » June 30th, 2012, 1:39 am

Arif Sb as far as i know it needs protection from the hot wind/air...and alot of humidity...IMHO you may try to place the plant where u can create humidity...

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor
Posts: 4303
Joined: April 14th, 2011, 1:01 pm

Re: michelia champaca in lahore

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan » June 30th, 2012, 9:14 am

alimunir wrote:Arif Sb as far as i know it needs protection from the hot wind/air...and alot of humidity...IMHO you may try to place the plant where u can create humidity...
I tink you are right.

alimunir
Posts: 22
Joined: June 28th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Country: Pakistan
City: Lahore

Re: michelia champaca in lahore

Post by alimunir » June 30th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Dera Arif Sb,

I have an idea, if u want to try, place the pot on crushed bricks and when u water the plant soak the bricks thoroughly other thn watering also soak them whenever u feel them to be on the dryer side.it, as far as i think, will create a humid environment.Also, u can place some common ferns in pots around the plant they too will assist in humidity..

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor
Posts: 4303
Joined: April 14th, 2011, 1:01 pm

Re: michelia champaca in lahore

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan » July 1st, 2012, 9:00 am

I am not so fond of plants that require special care except for first 3 years. I will do the best I can for it.

aykhan
Donor
Donor
Posts: 2285
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 6:30 pm
Country: Pakistan
City: Lahore
Location: Lahore

Re: michelia champaca in lahore

Post by aykhan » July 6th, 2012, 3:21 am

I have Michelia champaca growing well for me. It is under the shade of a need tree and is more than 6 feet. It has not bloomed for me yet. It is easily available from nurseries here in Lahore. The white one is Michelia alba and should also do fine in zone 10. I am eager to see the bloom of champaca....

KAMasud
Posts: 132
Joined: July 11th, 2012, 6:51 am
Country: Pakistan
City: RawalPindi

Re: michelia champaca in lahore

Post by KAMasud » July 30th, 2012, 12:14 am

I think it is about time that you come to the conclusion that a small pond with a fine mist fountain is required in your gardens to raise the humidity and to cool down the area. Baaki up to you.
Cheers.

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor
Posts: 4303
Joined: April 14th, 2011, 1:01 pm

Re: michelia champaca in lahore

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan » July 30th, 2012, 10:18 pm

KAMasud wrote:I think it is about time that you come to the conclusion that a small pond with a fine mist fountain is required in your gardens to raise the humidity and to cool down the area. Baaki up to you.
Cheers.
Maintenance of a fountain pond is even a bigger headach

Post Reply

Return to “Fragrant Plants”