Magnolia figo/Michelia figo

Discuss plants with fragrant flowers or leaves.

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Magnolia figo/Michelia figo

Post by Izhar »

After getting information from our member hnasir, i decided to buy a M. figo, the plant is said to be good for warm climates and famous for its ripe banana like fragrance..

My plant is in good shape and new leaves are forming.. hope it does grow with me, need experiences of other members who have it:

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Re: Magnolia figo/Michelia figo

Post by khabbab »

Yes its a morning sun only plant in lahore. I notices it hates transplant even if you think you did not disturb any roots. It is a shallow rooting plant and slow growing as well so no need to put it in deep pot. It does need humidity in air. When i bought mine it was very dark green, more greener than yours and less compact and had no buds, it was in full shade. I put it in morning sun and i also put a clay plate full of water stuck between michelias and gardenias. Now i can see buds forming on it. It needs same level of acidity as gardenias i.e. 5 - 6. So i have amended the soil with little peat moss and some f.sulfate and a pinch of sulfur.

There are few cultivars of figo with different flower colors, lets hope we get to see them soon in pakistan :)
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Thank you for your suggestions.. i am not putting it in ground now, may be once I see fresh white feeder roots coming out of the base of pot then i'll decide..
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Izhar, this is a very over-rated plant for its fragrance. One has to literally sniff it close to detect its fragrance which even at close quarters is extremely mild and blooms are sparse.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Nahiiii..... aisa mat bolain Imran sb....
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

mikhurram wrote:Izhar, this is a very over-rated plant for its fragrance. One has to literally sniff it close to detect its fragrance which even at close quarters is extremely mild and blooms are sparse.
Please see the image of this plant posted by Dr Amir on the forum. It is loaded with buds and I will not call it "sparse" blooming :) I cannot comment on fragrance level as no personal experience but i know it is one of world's most fragrant plants as specified on this famous thread of gardenweb on most fragrant plants by ranking http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions ... by-ranking

Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

mine is growing in full shade and in ordinary soil...no problem at all...survives even in drought condition.but blooms only in march april with very few blooms...flower size is very small and fragrance can be felt only by plucking flower and keeping it close to nose as mikhuram sb said...but i will admit that fragrance is out of this world...flower life is also very short...if plucked from plant withers in two hours.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Hammad you have summed it up very nicely. My experience is the same. Though when the buds appear the impression one gets is that they all would bloom which sadly is not the case.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Dear both kindly post your plants pictures.... hope it behaves better in Karachi ..as mentioned in other websites.. :mrgreen:
Raja_Qaiser
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: New to Gardening.

Post by Raja_Qaiser »

How much did u pay Izhar bahi? Sunday i went nursuries only 1 nursury has got this and price of same plant size as ur is was 2500Rps.
Fragrence was no doubt very Good.

Return to “Fragrant Plants”