Magnolia leaf browning.

Discuss plants with fragrant flowers or leaves.

Moderator: Izhar

MOHAN SINGH
City: LUDHIANA
Gardening Interests: Novice gardener trying annuals on my new terrace container garden.

Magnolia leaf browning.

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

Since a lot was written and read about magnolias I decided to add them to my collection of fragrant plants. I got to purchase an alba when asked for champaca due to sheer ignorance and excitement at the same time. The first alba was purchased on 05.06.16 with three blooms and a bud and potted on 12.06.16.

Mix - The potting mix consisted of bhal, sand, coir majorily (washed), banana peels and some compost.

Location - On terrace under the shade of a neem tree south east.

Watering - I read its root sensitive and therefore I have been very careful with watering. The only excess water if any it got, is from rains. The mix is moist to touch since the mix majorily consists coir.

Since potting, the alba is not showing any promising signs.

The plant is shedding its top leaves, a leaf in 7-10 days for ex. The existing top leaves are also brown and crispy but still tough. The lower leaves are almost perfect.
Should I expect it to grow this summer in terms of foliage or buds? As you may see the plant seems stressed, the only bud it had also dropped.
What can be done to improve its health since its aleady in shade, watered sparingly, not fertilised.
Since it has been purchased in a prompt, what can be done about its vertical height since I dont see any growth from the center upwards?

The other two recent purchases of alba and a champaca are awaiting potting please advise.
Attachments
complete pic
complete pic
IMG_20160630_205644_1467357099184.jpg
lower leaves
lower leaves
MOHAN SINGH
Gardening Interests: Novice gardener trying annuals on my new terrace container garden.

Re: Magnolia leaf browning.

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

The affected area
Attachments
upper leaves
upper leaves
upper leaves
upper leaves
MOHAN SINGH

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

The new purchases are so far in perky condition.
Attachments
IMG_20160630_215023_1467357046731.jpg
IMG_20160630_215037_1467357030398.jpg
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Sorry for the late reply... how is the condition now??
MOHAN SINGH

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

recuperating after recent rains... growing some new leaves..

Return to “Fragrant Plants”