Best three fragrant plants

Discuss plants with fragrant flowers or leaves.

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Best three fragrant plants

Post by mikhurram »

The normal flowering pattern of a wisteria vine is March however it at times also flowers in July but this bloom period is short owning to rising temperatures. Wisteria vines can be propagated easily through air layering. Mr. Khalid based is Lahore has the same specimen of Wisteria which he sells at reasonable rates and can be contacted at 0333-4371711.

The air layered ones propagated by Mr. Khalid take 3 years to flower if grown in a site having full sun with good drainage.
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Thanks. Does he have only one variety or more than one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

You can buy white and blue wisteria sinensis from him.
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Visited. Nice guy. Said he got floribunda(Japanese) ones from Adnan and would be air layering them this year

mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

The wisteria he offers tend to flower within 3-4 years if planted in full sun in the ground. His wisteria's are guaranteed to flower whereas the wisteria's offered by Lahore Nursery do not flower for 10-12 years. Indeed he's a very nice guy who sells plants at very reasonable rates. He also has a fragrant variety of Clematis (Sweet Autumn) whose clusters of white flowers flower around September and this variety flowers profusely.
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Thanks. Now that u mention lahore nursery. I m more disturbed by how they run their business than what they sell. I recently visited them a few times and as a test case each time inquired about the price of the grafted prunus nigra that they got(local grafting). The salesman with white hair n moustache(name?) once quoted 1500/plant. Then at another occasion few days later 2500/plant. Ali, who is there as well quoted 1000/plant.
At another occasion Ali tried to sell a murraya penniculata (local, bigger leafed) for 6000 calling it Australian marwa. And the next day the white haired salesman said its for 1000.
I have come to distrust all of these gentlemen incl the owner haji Sb

talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Haji Sb gets his wisteria floribunda from Adnan for 1000-3000/plant and sells for 9000/plant.
It seems they do not import or grow. They r just retailers

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

The discussion was very fruitful as it strayed allover.
SO WHAT ARE THE THREE BEST FRAGRANT PLANTS?
The only system that comes to my mind is allocating points for each quality, say;
Quality of perfume, 10 points
Strength of fragrance, 10 points.
Profusion of blooms, 10 points.
Blooming period, 12 points (one per month).
I would rate white fragrant Plumeria the winner with long margin (blooms through out the year).
Motia is second and Gardenia is last having shortest blooming period.
WELL WHAT HAVE YOU TO SAY.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

I would like to mention marwa or kaamni in the second place after round leaf white plumeria... flush after flush with fragrance wafting in air along with beautiful evergreen foliage.. Brunfelsia on fifth with its beautiful and color changing blooms..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Izhar, true Merwa has its place. I have 4 fourteen inches pots of the dwarf Merwa out side my bed room window, they are still small although blooming but still not significantly.

Return to “Fragrant Plants”