Lavender update

Discussion related to growing from seed

Moderator: Izhar

Madiha Humbal
City: Karachi

Re: Lavender update

Post by Madiha Humbal »

hello there. i tried growing lavender as well. but failed miserably. can u please guide me how to grow them like what kind of soil do you need. how do i maintain the temperature required for them to germinate. how much time till i see the shoots etc. i am fairly new at this and have absolutely no knowledge of such kinds of things so i might be a little nuisance. BUT HELP PLEASE :?
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

From what I know they are easier to cultivate from cuttings than from seed and their biggest problem in our climate is the humidity levels around the monsoon periods
MOHAN SINGH
City: LUDHIANA
Gardening Interests: Novice gardener trying annuals on my new terrace container garden.

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

Could you maintain these plants?.. what is the current position?
Shazia Khurram
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Post by Shazia Khurram »

How I miss lavender. It was so easy to grow, and thrived in Quetta. Planted with rosemary, they gave off an intoxicating scent. Ziarat has a huge local variety growing wild.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
eagergardener
City: ----
Gardening Interests: Aquatic plants (aquariums), Flowering plants

Post by eagergardener »

Oh wow that's awesome! My cat just recenlty toppled over the gamla containing 8 lavendar seedlings. Which sprouted after sowing 200 seeds. Lost all of them :-/

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
MOHAN SINGH
Gardening Interests: Novice gardener trying annuals on my new terrace container garden.

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

Hello eagergardener,
Could you please share your media, sowing dates, method, sprouting dates, etc. for reference.

Hi Shazia,
Did you grow from seed? I could get from a nursery but the only lavender they could understand is lavender as in color not as in a herb. :D
Shazia Khurram
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Patio garden? Landscaping, beginner and willing to learn all that I can.

Post by Shazia Khurram »

@ sir mohan Singh
Yes I grew them from seeds in Quetta. They also grow wild there. It was English and French lavender.
I have tried it several times here in Punjab but have been unsuccessful. They do sprout and even form seedlings, but never flower for me. And the foliage too dies after a while, even though I never place them in direct heat. Actually, they dislike humidity and wilt away in monsoon. They thrive in barren conditions and dry air like in Quetta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MOHAN SINGH

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

Not a good idea then.. i grew thyme initially last summer had quite the same experience as yours. But i would blame my choice of soil and partly to high humidity..
mistersajjad
City: karachi
Gardening Interests: Neat, clean immaculate grass
green plants for indoor and outdoors
colorful flowers

Post by mistersajjad »

what is the season for germinating the lavendar seeds?they re very beneficial as they keep the mosquitoes away.
could you tell me the procedure you followed for using the seeds please?
i am working on rosemary but it requires about 24 hours of stratification. I am hoping they sprout. I would appreciate any guidance I can get from karachiites.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

mistersajjad wrote:what is the season for germinating the lavendar seeds?they re very beneficial as they keep the mosquitoes away.
could you tell me the procedure you followed for using the seeds please?
i am working on rosemary but it requires about 24 hours of stratification. I am hoping they sprout. I would appreciate any guidance I can get from karachiites.
Lavender doesn't survive in Karachi

Return to “Growing form Seed”