Seed Experiment

Discussion related to growing from seed

Moderator: Izhar

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Seed Experiment

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Fahan the zones on net are not perfect.Frankly speaking i have never given any importance to zones.some plants which are considered summer annuals are only suited to our cool season.Tuberous begonias & Dahlias,Fuchias,Hydrangeas are summer plants in many countries but are not suited to our summers.secondly Pansy is cool season crop.thats why its life span is very limited in our climate.when its in full bloom suddenly its taken off by our summers.but i love our summers after all we get so many sweet mangoes hahaha.
Morina
City: Center

Post by Morina »

Hi,

I find your seed experience very interesting and want to ask you : do you use always cinnamon powder as fongicide? does it work, and perhaps for most plants and bulbs ? I want to try this. How much give you on your seeds ?
Thanks in advance! :)

Morina
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I used slight sprinkling of Cinnamon powder. Cinnamon powder is claimed to have preventive fungus properties, however in my case it did not prove very useful or maybe it was too much heat.
Morina

Post by Morina »

My idea is that some seeds don't germinate easily, like Aquilegia. This one needs a cold period and even then it works very irregularly and grows also very slowly the first year. The other idea : it could be that the time for sowing was not the best for your flowers, will say that it wasn't their growing rhythm ? If I were you I'd try it again.
For my seeds I prepare the medium in taking 1/3 parts of commercial substrat, 1/3 part of sand and 1/3 of peat if the flower to grow needs a low pH (acid soil).

In some of your pictures I had the impression that the germinated seedlings tried to search the light and that it was too warm. They do so when I'm sowing inside near the window, then the seedlings are too weak and they die.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Morina.......Thankyou, yes i would concur with you regarding Aquilegia....i tried them again in November and 8 seeds germinated. They are growing very slowly since then. They have developed only second set of true leaves since then.

Yes i would agree that it was not their time. That was the aim of the experiment to attempt seeds out of season.
And yes i tried again and have had way better results in November sowing. For spring most of my plants are self sown.

Yes i did put them away from sunlight/shade because of which they were lanky. Reason was again because i was trying them out of season. In Jne-July-Aug our highs are on average more than 45 Deg Celsius. Even a grown up plant is scorched to death in such high temperatures and seedlings would had no chance.
Morina

Post by Morina »

You did well to experience it . :D And in 45° C ... how could they keep humidity ? that must be very difficult. But it was a good thing to give it a try.
Do you know the variety of your Aquilegia ?
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Aqueligia Choclate Soldier ( T & M)

Humidity was maintained may be more than required resulting in Damping off......
Morina

Post by Morina »

Oh! I see - a very nice Aquilegia, indeed!

Return to “Growing form Seed”