Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Orchids from seed

Post by Hamad »

AOA

how to grow Orchid from seed dose someone has any experience or knowledge regarding this because I have read a lot about it, it seems to be like a rocket science to germinate an Orchid and seems to be like you need to open a lab for it.

What about the success rate in Pakistan if yes then in which climate what time they bloom and what time it go dormant.
another type is Pleione Orchid this one is has a tuber is it better or easier to grow this type because of tuber, once I have seen Tofiq Pasha doing a program on Orchid but it was brief he didn't talk about its germination.

I want to experiment on it if someone could help it will be much appreciated and I remember tweedle had few if he can add a little it will be great, following is one of the link that I found good ,knowledgeable and informative I hope Pleione Orchid lover will like it ;)
http://www.pleione.info/

I know I asked too many question ;) in one go but you can answer one by one

Regards
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Orchids from seed

Post by Izhar »

The seeds of orchids are dust like and in wild need symbiotic relationship which microscopic fungi for germination.. they are easily propagated through tissue culture and pups..
in Karachi we have good climate to support most of the orchid species growth outside the green house.. they need humidity, shelter from wind and bright light (not direct sun)... some orchids need chilling for blooming... i have been keeping one orchid for last eight years approx... it blooms year round... orchids do not like disturbance, they need a fix spot to establish themselves..
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Thanks for reply Izhar, was it from seed or you bought a plant did you ever try to germinate it from seed and what do you say about Pleione Orchid and at what price Orchid is available in Karachi
and would you like to share some pics of you plant, do they (nursery men) propagate it in Karachi

Regards
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

No not from seed, i bought it as small plant... orchids in Karachi are imported from Thailand.. price range from Rs.250 - Rs.5000 or may be more depending on the size and species.. as far as i know they are not propagated in the nurseries here... my plant is blooming nowadays.. will post pic inshaAllah..
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

alright Izhar last question please what do say about Pleione Orchid and is it successful in Pakistan
looking forward for pics
Regards
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

I havent seen it here but from the information i read on internet, it should grow here...
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

ok

thank you Izhar nice information InshAllah in near future I will give them a try and keep us updated with your Orchid

Regards
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

Orchids are propagated here. I've seen em. Though not from seed. I've seen dends and vandas. Dends they simply divide, and vandas sorta take a cutting. Dends also give babies. But i read propagated this way, they may take an year or two or three to bloom.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

are they doing this in Karachi? because I think Karachi climate is good for them its a good info though I will try to get more on it
thanks for sharing

Regards

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

I had divided one orchid into three two years ago .. the parent bloomed that year. Hopefully others will bloom next month :)

Return to “Growing form Seed”