Zinnia seedling care

Discussion related to growing from seed

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Imran
City: Lahore

Zinnia seedling care

Post by Muhammad Imran »

I sowed zinnia seeds on previous Sunday in 6 cells in propagration tray with cover. Seed in one cell has germinated today to my delight for which I am very grateful for the help of some senior members Farhan, Izhar and dragonsoor.

I dont want this effort wasted and anxious to know how to go about now on. My questions are as under:

When to open the lids and removing the cover completely?
When should I put seedlings under direct sun? and for much time initially? right now the tray is under bright day light but no direct sun
What should be the watering routine?
Any other important things to do.

Looking forward to reply
Asim_Nawaz
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Re: Zinnia seedling care

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Dear Muahmmad Imran
It's a great news you can grow Zinnia seeds and it will germinate. I also also pruchase Zinnnia Seed. Today I received two catlogs from "Pride seeds" and City seeds". Can you advice me which Zinnia seeds easily germinate.
Thanks
Asim
Lahore
Muhammad Imran

Post by Muhammad Imran »

Asim
wait for some senior member to reply. I am totally a novice. Given germination time for Zinnia is usually 4 to 7 days.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

You can germinate the seeds of zinnia under direct sun.. they are sun lovers.. just keep the sowing media moist all the time..
Zinnias perform best when sown in situ i.e. in the place where you want them to grow and bloom... however, they can be grown as seedlings and afterwords transplanted in the desired location.. ideal place for zinnia is full sun..

I would suggest to bring them in direct sunlight and water twice daily... they will be ready to transplant within a month...
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Covering seed tray with lid/ plastic serves two purposes:-

1) To ensure moisture retention
2) Achieve optimum temperatures especially in cold season

Now a days, its really getting hot. i would advice removing the lid. especially if the seeds have germinated.
After germination there is no use of covering the seedlings.

As you have started seeds in indirect sunlight, i would advice not to put them in direct sun immediately for two reasons:-

1) As your seedlings are not use to sun, they "MIGHT" suffer/die due intense sun. Place them in morning sun for one-two hours if possible, and then gradually increase the time so that they adapt/acclimatize to full sun.

2) Seeds cells of the trays/etc are very small and the direct sun will immediately evaporate moisture(also dependent on soil medium). Therefore you will have to ensure proper moisture by watering frequently as heat index is really gone high.

Zinnias are very susceptible to damping off, therefore endeavor not to over water. Soil should be just moist. This does not mean that soil dries out completely. keep tray at an airy place to ensure good ventilation.

Shift them to ground, as soon as seedlings develops two to three sets of true leaves.
Muhammad Imran

Post by Muhammad Imran »

Thanks both of you!!
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Asim_Nawaz wrote:Dear Muahmmad Imran
It's a great news you can grow Zinnia seeds and it will germinate. I also also pruchase Zinnnia Seed. Today I received two catlogs from "Pride seeds" and City seeds". Can you advice me which Zinnia seeds easily germinate.
Thanks
Asim
Lahore
@Asim sb could you send me the contacts of Pride seeds and city seeds?
regards
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

website of pride seeds..

http://prideseedstore.com/

contact: Land Line # +92-42-35763069, Fax# +92-42-35873430, Mobile# +92-300-8436799
Asim_Nawaz
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Dear Ka_Khan
Tommarow I will send you contant no of "City Seed". I can puchased all my seeds from "City Seed" Lahore, not only grow but also sending information to all my friends having subject "Step by Step 2013 Seed Germination Process" .
Asim
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Thank you Asim sb and will be waiting for this thread.I will request the seniors and experts to start thread for the summer plants from seeding to blooming which will help new comers like me.

Return to “Growing form Seed”