Rananculus from seeds

Discussion related to growing from seed

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Rananculus from seeds

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Not recommended to grow from seed. Seedling will give one/two blooms max. Not worth the effort. Or if sown from seed plant very closely in mass for fuller effect
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

I doubt :), may i be wrong but following link is showing images of @khabbab's rananuculus from seedlings?
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=659
Rafique
rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Khabbab sb please clarify?
Also read some where that size of bloom from seed is more than corms?
Rafique
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

what i understand Khabbab's blooms are from corm planted in subsequent year. Not from seed, lets wait for his reply. I tried twice, this year as well as previous. On both occasion seed grown seedlings gave mostly one and at times max 2 blooms. Bloom size was quite smaller as compared to what i have seen in nurseries(grown up plants)
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

here is another detail about ranunculus by khabab bhai.
Ranunculus
Ranunculus grows from both seeds and corms. Plants grown from seeds have larger flowers than corms so i prefer to buy seed grown seedling from nurseries which is cheap. For growing it from corm check this post of minehttp://www.lahoregardening.com/2009 ... rm_04.html Remember not to deep plant the seedling of ranunculus in soil bed. The seedlings grow new shoots from much above the soil level. Also it needs to be protected from march rains.

Flowering: February- May
Growth Ease: Easy
Germination: From corm easy, From seed moderate to difficult
Sun required: Full sun
Famous series: The seed grown is asiaticus bloomingdale. Corm is probably different variety.
You can see other ranunculus flowers on this blog here http://www.lahoregardening.com/search/label/ranunculus
it is taken from Winter & Spring Flowering Annuals (By Khabbab) topic.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Rafaiy if you are looking for exact what you want in better price then visit Pak Flora nursery PWR mod.
The first in Khababs pictures may be from corm but the last two are Blooming dale.You can see Arbab,s Blooming dales in older posts.Yes one thing Farhan you are right that from seeds the flowers are fever but if you can save the corms of Blooming dale nothing like that.Its the best Ranunculus o far.The Ranunculus from corms is semi doubles & tall in hight.
Rafaiy one thing it may be seems costly but go to Pak Flora & pick last years plants from them.They grow corms of Blooming dales raised from seeds last year.You will have the choice of colors,it will save your time & money in long run.The last year plants gives 20-25 blooms min with tightly packed high petal counts.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Rafaiy if you are looking for exact what you want in better price then visit Pak Flora nursery PWR mod.
The first in Khababs pictures may be from corm but the last two are Blooming dale.You can see Arbab,s Blooming dales in older posts.Yes one thing Farhan you are right that from seeds the flowers are fever but if you can save the corms of Blooming dale nothing like that.Its the best Ranunculus o far.The Ranunculus from corms is semi doubles & tall in hight.
Rafaiy one thing it may be seems costly but go to Pak Flora & pick last years plants from them.They grow corms of Blooming dales raised from seeds last year.You will have the choice of colors,it will save your time & money in long run.The last year plants gives 20-25 blooms min with tightly packed high petal counts.
Sir when can i go there, will they be available now?
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Tahir sb you may contact Mr Sarfaraz for the exact updates.His cell no is 03335105187.Ask him for availability of flowering Bloomingdale.He has great collection Dahlia & Ranunculus to offer.Don,t go for seedlings.You can get your choice when you gonna pick potted flowering plants.Enjoy the blooms & save the corms for next year.
Rafaiy
City: Rawalpindi

Post by Rafaiy »

Thanks umar...
Gardeners from rwp/isb can also try to get ranunculus corms from awan seed store rwp...last year I bought a few ranunculus corms and freesia bulbs from them :) ...
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

1-There is difference between growing ranunculus from seeds AND growing from seedlings raised in murree. That's why the nursery guys raise them in murree and bring to plains in november when temp of plains is similar to those of murree in september. So i am not in favor of growing yourself from seed unless you live in a cool place. Another example is aquilegia. They perform superb in winter in lahore. But if you try their seeds in lahore, it will be rather difficult.

2- I never saved seedling based corm for next year. Mostly because i grow very few of them. Why go into fuss of saving them when i can get them fresh every year at only 20 Rs per plug plant? Those who grow in masses might try that. There is also a chance that next year the vigor of corm will reduce.

3- Flower size of seed grown is surely large as compared to corm. Corm seem to produce more flowers but much smaller in size. Also, you will not get picotee color and white n blue picotee in corm.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com

Return to “Growing form Seed”