Sowing Orange Jasmine Seeds

Discussion related to growing from seed

Moderator: Izhar

M MADDY
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Recently developed gardening interest, more towards roses and growing own vegetables.

Sowing Orange Jasmine Seeds

Post by M MADDY »

Assalam-o-Alaikum
I have a orange jasmine plant and just recently after blooming, fruits has started to take thier place. They are green in color now. To get maximum flowers I cut down all of them from their tip and left only one bunch to see them get ripe. I think they will acquire bright red color and once they do will I be able to make a new plant out of it? What procedure would be required? germinating the seed etc? Plus what are its uses? are they edible?
Also, as I have mentioned that I cut them down from the tip, was it the right way to do so? or I should have plucked them out istead of cutting them off?

P.s: My english is weak, so feel free to mention and correct any grammatical mistake I may have done above.
Thank You
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Re: Sowing Orange Jasmine Seeds

Post by Hamad »

P.s: My english is weak, so feel free to mention and correct any grammatical mistake I may have done above.
Thank You
Maddy don't you worry for your English its perfectly fine and great, this is a gardening forum not an English class ;) :) , we are not going to point out your English mistakes my friend as we all commit many mistakes because English is not our first language :) :) .

feel free to talk on gardening my friend and gardening has no language, even you can write in Urdu or roman Urdu if you feel like :) :)

and now regarding your question I m afraid I would not be able to help :cry: as I have not experienced this plant before, but I hope our members would be able to guide you.

Happy Gardening my friend :)

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

1) Your Orange Jasmine can be Murraya paniculata or Murraya exotica
2) The seeds pod contain 2 large seeds usually
3) They are ripe when turn completely red, do not eat them
4) Seeds do not store well and should be sown as early as possible
5) One part balu matti mix with One part well rotted manure is good mix to start them
6) Slow grower in start
7) Pinch the new growth to make plant bushier
8) It blooms year round in Karachi

My Murraya exotica (2011 picture):

M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

M MADDY wrote:Assalam-o-Alaikum
I have a orange jasmine plant and just recently after blooming, fruits has started to take thier place. They are green in color now. To get maximum flowers I cut down all of them from their tip and left only one bunch to see them get ripe. I think they will acquire bright red color and once they do will I be able to make a new plant out of it? What procedure would be required? germinating the seed etc? Plus what are its uses? are they edible?
Also, as I have mentioned that I cut them down from the tip, was it the right way to do so? or I should have plucked them out istead of cutting them off?
WSA, Could you post the pictures of your plants please? Izhar sb has already posted the picture. I believe that you are referring to the same plant. I have grown the Murraya (orange jasmine) from seeds. The tips have already been mentioned but the only drawback, in my opinion, was that the Murraya grows very slowly. Sow as many seeds as you can - the germination rate is not high (many seeds fail).
More pictures here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2239&p=21181&hilit=murraya#p21181
M MADDY
Gardening Interests: Recently developed gardening interest, more towards roses and growing own vegetables.

Post by M MADDY »

@ Hammad Bhai, here's a (like) for your warm welcoming reply :)
M MADDY

Post by M MADDY »

- My Murraya Paniculata (<--almost sure) is a bit bigger than the one Sir Izhar posted and yet it don't have as much blooms as your's, Sir.
- I will post the pictures ASAP Sir M Farooq.
- I left only one bunch of fruit on my plant for it to turn red. It had been 3 weeks, they are still green.
- Thank you Sir Izhar for Step by step instructions, most appreciated. Just one thing, about that pinching part, how do I pinch the new growth?
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Just remove the tip of new growth, it will make the plant to produce side branches... the more branches.. the more blooms you will get...
M MADDY

Post by M MADDY »

Ohkie got it, thank you.

and here is the picture,
DSCN8383i.jpg
DSCN8383i.jpg (168.62 KiB) Viewed 9443 times
sanasara
City: rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: i am new in gardening

Post by sanasara »

i have some orange jasmine seeds i purchase it from china can you please help me how to plant it and which month is good for planting seeds.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Sow now.. in fresh soil.. cover them half inch with soil.. they germinate in 15-20 days..

Return to “Growing form Seed”