Discussion related to growing from seed

Moderator: Izhar

AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Sago Palm from seed

Post by AhmadIrfan »

This is the first winter for my foxtail palms they look good for now lets see if the survive the mist, if you still have the zambia take it out of the ground cut the roots at the edges and replant it in a different place, these palms are getting expensive day by day i guess no one is interested because of the slow growth of these palms i do have a few other palms in my home lady palm, bismarkia palm, phoenix palm, the ficuses you see are self propagated from cuttings and air layering, will be setting up a small green house for propagating these ficus's in a week or soo, black ficuses stay green all year round in lahore i prefer the star light ficus, for this season i have planted petunias F1, pansy F1,ranunculus propagated from roots, anemones, hyacinths in glass jars, verbena, pholox, kelsolaria, salvia red, salvia bio color dwarf, lillium, domolex,Antirrhinum, cyclaman plants from murree, begonia, gazania, dianthus, statice stinuata, primula, cinneria, lisianthus, nastrasium, gerenium, aster plum, lineria and dhalias and a few others i cant think of right now i dropped statice rose mary couldnt find the seeds or transplants in lahore one of my favourite flowers.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Ahmad i love Cycades.lets see what Foxtail does in your garden.then i,l decide to plant it.i have Phonex.Washingtonia,Alexander.i m intested reall in Cycades.I have two Zambias i dont know what happened to one plant.Lady finger is spreading year after year in open ground.i think it will be hard for me to give it more space i future.I dont like Bismarkia.but taste differs.you have great collection of annuals.once i used to grow Cyclamen in many colors in Abbattabad.send your plants back to Murree for summer storage.if you can manage summer storage you an enjoy many,many plants.i have dropped so many bulbs because of their short time display.now i only like the loong blooming annuas.please post your Cyclamen pictures.it Shazada phool.i love it so much.they should be in full bloom now.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Star light Ficus is the most beautiful.but here it drops its leaves even in protection.Hawai is very hardy.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

yes cyclaman has were attractive flowers, i bought smaller plants since the bigger ones are a bit expensive, my cyclaman wil bloom in january will post pics then, have been feeding them extra doses of fertelizer lets see. Instead of cutting the lady palm make more plants out of it, take the extra branches out of the ground and plant them in a pot and put it in a shaded area, more than 50 % of the plants survive.
I am planning tu buy a black ficus bonsai and a Alexander palm soon dont like the washingtonia i prefer the bismarkia over palm over it.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

my alexander palm

i moved Aevemia from sunny location to a shady plce,in shaddy place they have strated growing there.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

The alexanria palm looks great going to buy them soon, hope it survives the lahore weather, havent seen much of them in lahore, The talium palm is going to take alot year to develop i dont think you will be able to identify the gender before 5-7 years, do you have any videos related to cutting bushes into different shapes??
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Ahmad Alexander palms are very hardy,i have never given them any protection as i i have given to Bottle palms in their earlier age.a nurseryman told me Queen palm is also very hardy.i,l plant it this year.i,l also post my Fish tail palm picture later.the palm which i really love is Arvenena palm.i hve two plants.i planted them in full sun.they were not making the shape & growth to my expextations.then some one told me give it some shade.i pull out the palms & now they are doing well.even the texture improved.i think after 5-6 years they will make beatifull trees.i also have Phonix palms.i saw one variety of phonix but it was very beautiful.i dont remembers its exct name.i think there are many types in Phonix palm.what about cane palm.in Karachi i saw fan variety.it was not Wahintonia,Table or Bismarkia i dont know what it was but Ahmad it really impprsed me.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Can we grow Golden Tringular plam in or climate.its trunk is really very differrent.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Not too sure about the triangular palm but checked its zone hardiness its 9b i think it should survive here, try the revenula palm thats what it is locally called, the shape is same as the triangle palm but the leaves are similar to the banana trees. I have a dwarf fish tail palms but its in a pot i also have the cane palm, there are numerous varieties to the fan collection.
ahussain
City: Beach Park

Post by ahussain »

Is the Zimbia plant the same as ZZ plant? I have a few ZZ plants in the house.

Return to “Growing form Seed”