Black Crested Himalayan Bulbul.

Moderator: Izhar

KAMasud
City: RawalPindi

Black Crested Himalayan Bulbul.

Post by KAMasud »

Some help required. Due to my Grape vines, Pomegranate trees, Mulberry tree, etc Black Crested Himalayan Bulbuls (Red) have taken over and started nesting. Every couple of weeks i find a baby on the ground. Ok weak, law of the jungle requires them to be in tummies of cats but i pick them up and try to raise them. So far i am feeding them worms but what is the diet of this bird other then earth worms?
Regards.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Black Crested Himalayan Bulbul.

Post by Izhar »

mulberries, outer covering of neem's fruit, figs, grapes, papaya, plum, peaches, tomatoes, mangoes, banana... boiled egg can be given.. grains can be given but in small quantity as they induce constipation in these berry eating birds.. they are also very fond of sugar syrup..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Good luck.
KAMasud

Post by KAMasud »

YuuP! Need the luck. After i posted, went out and found a few more flopping around waiting for the cat, parents all excited. Izhar, they are tooo small. Khair i put them all in a cage and hung them under the nest, lectured the parents if they could not look after them then at least to feed them. They are feeding the chicks through the bars, lets see how many survive but this seems to be becoming a routine in the breeding season. Down side is, it seems the chicks when they become adults dont want to leave the garden. :roll:
Regards.
KAMasud

Post by KAMasud »

Izhar because i did not masticate or regurgitate the earth worm before feeding the chick, the chick which i fed the earth worm died. The rest under parental feeding are alive and doing well. Now that i know what to do in future is a relief. Pop into cage and hang cage under nest then give a earful to the negligent parents, who after a reprimand become diligent parents. :D. Reminds me of humans.
Regards.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Hi KAM,feed your bulbul chicks with pulses such as chana dall.keep channa dal in water for some time so it becomes soft.fill a syrnge & feed your chicks with it.i even feed 1 day old parrot chick in this way.when the chick is about 1 week old start casual treats.its good if you give them dried grapes.don,t feed worms.as they carry germs when can definitely kill your birds.soft channa dal is rich in protine which gives good start to the chicks.

Return to “Birds”