Organic pesticide. Please share your experiences

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: help

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Few last posts moved on the request of members. Please exercise caution.
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Munir wrote:With the proven bad effects of the pesticides,& this long list against Imidacloprid,Gardens must be kept OUT OF BOUND for these,till their use becomes absolutely inescapable.In my view,it is better to sacrifice a few plants,certainly the affected vegetables & fruits,rather than use these poisons.One should instead look for organic sprays/treatments,which are now becoming available on internet & even in the market.
This is exactly what I do. I would prefer to loose a plant rather than introducing highly poisonous chemicals in my garden. I strictly forbade my mali also because they are in habit of using pesticides just on the slightest occurrence. During this season I have been trying different organic pesticides, most successful was the neem solution (NOT NEEM OIL). As mentioned by Farooq bhai earlier, I just used to boil neem leaves in water and spray that solution on my plants, including roses. It was very effective and kept my plants safe most of the time. (when we were young, our grandmother used to give us bath in name water during monsoon season and it used to be very effective for skin protection)

Most of my friends in UK, USA and Canada who are far more experienced rose growers than me have also stopped using chemical pesticides in their respective gardens. During the past six months, out of over 400 rose bushes planted by my friends in different countries, only three were lost though a lot of them suffered different diseases. Most of the bushes recovered through organic treatment and in certain cases, with no treatment at all and only three bushes could not recover. They were removed from the garden. But all of us had decided that we will not use chemical pesticides in our gardens and we did not.

regards
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

KBW wrote:
Munir wrote:With the proven bad effects of the pesticides,& this long list against Imidacloprid,Gardens must be kept OUT OF BOUND for these,till their use becomes absolutely inescapable.In my view,it is better to sacrifice a few plants,certainly the affected vegetables & fruits,rather than use these poisons.One should instead look for organic sprays/treatments,which are now becoming available on internet & even in the market.
This is exactly what I do. I would prefer to loose a plant rather than introducing highly poisonous chemicals in my garden. I strictly forbade my mali also because they are in habit of using pesticides just on the slightest occurrence. During this season I have been trying different organic pesticides, most successful was the neem solution (NOT NEEM OIL). As mentioned by Farooq bhai earlier, I just used to boil neem leaves in water and spray that solution on my plants, including roses. It was very effective and kept my plants safe most of the time. (when we were young, our grandmother used to give us bath in name water during monsoon season and it used to be very effective for skin protection)

Most of my friends in UK, USA and Canada who are far more experienced rose growers than me have also stopped using chemical pesticides in their respective gardens. During the past six months, out of over 400 rose bushes planted by my friends in different countries, only three were lost though a lot of them suffered different diseases. Most of the bushes recovered through organic treatment and in certain cases, with no treatment at all and only three bushes could not recover. They were removed from the garden. But all of us had decided that we will not use chemical pesticides in our gardens and we did not.

regards

KBW sb, why don't you start a new tutorial thread on organic pesticides where some of us can share actually tested organic recipes not lifted from the internet. The subject line of this thread is irrelevant to such an interesting topic.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

M Farooq wrote:
KBW sb, why don't you start a new tutorial thread on organic pesticides where some of us can share actually tested organic recipes not lifted from the internet. The subject line of this thread is irrelevant to such an interesting topic.
Good idea & an essential topic.I think,there should be no harm even lifting relevant & more practical ones from internet. They ll get thrashed out & it should make the effort a bit more wholesome.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Munir wrote:
M Farooq wrote:
Good idea & an essential topic.I think,there should be no harm even lifting relevant & more practical ones from internet. They ll get thrashed out & it should make the effort a bit more wholesome.
Yes! Nice idea in this way we can all benefit from the tested organic spray. One more thing KBW sb. will the neem spray will also keep away spiders because they are pain in my neck.
KBW
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Mustansir Billah wrote: One more thing KBW sb. will the neem spray will also keep away spiders because they are pain in my neck.
Mustansir bhai, I am not sure because I have never tried to kill spiders in my garden as they are beneficial insects and have a very important job to perform. Why do you want to kill spiders BTW? We shouldn't kill insects just because we dont like them. They are a part of nature. Only when they start getting out of control and become a nuisance in real sense, we should take measures to control them (not eliminate them).

Brothers, this indeed is a very very essential and important topic. However, I am not a gardener per se and therefore may not be of much use to you during this discussion. We might end up seeing the same problem with different lenses. I am basically an environmentalist and a plant lover. Since more plants grow in nature's garden so my focus is more there and far less on home gardening. My replies would therefore cover more of environment and I will time and again go back to the source of guidance which is the nature's garden, the huge garden created by Almighty. In that garden, there is a specified place for all living and non living beings and everything exists with a purpose, within a complex system of interdependence. IMHO, Almighty has not created anything without a purpose and everything has a job to perform which it does. I am in the process of learning this complex system and more I learn about it, more I realise that how little I know about. No one other than THE CREATOR has the ability to create something so complex yet so perfect. Pest control through organic methods is a small part of that bigger picture.

regards
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

KBW wrote:
Mustansir Billah wrote: One more thing KBW sb. will the neem spray will also keep away spiders because they are pain in my neck.
Mustansir bhai, I am not sure because I have never tried to kill spiders in my garden as they are beneficial insects and have a very important job to perform. Why do you want to kill spiders BTW? We shouldn't kill insects just because we dont like them. They are a part of nature. Only when they start getting out of control and become a nuisance in real sense, we should take measures to control them (not eliminate them).

Spiders are certainly beneficial. However, time and again we hear about spider mites here. At times, it is difficult to wet their surface by water (i.e. to wash them off the leaves). Any organic and personally tested suggestions?
KBW
Donor
Donor

Re: Organic pesticide. Please share your experiences

Post by KBW »

Oh, we are talking about spider mites here. I commented on spiders because that is what was mentioned in the post.
Mustansir Billah

M Farooq wrote:
KBW wrote:

Spiders are certainly beneficial. However, time and again we hear about spider mites here. At times, it is difficult to wet their surface by water (i.e. to wash them off the leaves). Any organic and personally tested suggestions?
Spider mites can be control through stream of water but on roses stream of water on regular basis will cause fungus.
Mustansir Billah

KBW wrote:

Brothers, this indeed is a very very essential and important topic. However, I am not a gardener per se and therefore may not be of much use to you during this discussion. We might end up seeing the same problem with different lenses. I am basically an environmentalist and a plant lover. Since more plants grow in nature's garden so my focus is more there and far less on home gardening. My replies would therefore cover more of environment and I will time and again go back to the source of guidance which is the nature's garden, the huge garden created by Almighty. In that garden, there is a specified place for all living and non living beings and everything exists with a purpose, within a complex system of interdependence. IMHO, Almighty has not created anything without a purpose and everything has a job to perform which it does. I am in the process of learning this complex system and more I learn about it, more I realise that how little I know about. No one other than THE CREATOR has the ability to create something so complex yet so perfect. Pest control through organic methods is a small part of that bigger picture.

regards
Very are exactly right KBW sb. but the problem is there is no complete food cycle in plants i.e one insect will come but its predator will not and gradually that insects population will increase and harms the plant.

Return to “Gardening Discussions”