Hippeastrum/Amaryllis

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Hippeastrum/Amaryllis

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Amaryllis has taken over the name of Hippeastrum
Now it is grown and bread all over the world, with varieties hardly distinguish able from each other, so much to choose from.
I have grown them for over 20 years.
I was told you cannot grow quality Hippeastrum in Lahore weather, which has proved wrong Amaryllis being so adaptable.
I have been asked so many questions by my friends, that has prompted me to this post.
The best conditions for the Amaryllis are;
Temperature around 25 C.
Filtered sun light.
Well drained composted soil with PH around 5.5 – 6, kept just moist.
Three Monthly feeding with NPK 4-2-4 with micro nutrients diluted to 600PPM – N.
Question. How long from seed to flower? If you provide ideal environment with light 24 Hours a day, in one-year, normal Lahore conditions 3 years.
Question, my jumbo bulb imported this year has produced 4 scapes, will it do the same next year? No you would be lucky if you get two scapes, the bulbs were developed under special conditions.
Question. Is dormancy a must, should it be forced?
Although recommended by Hedco I do not think it is a must, even if you withdraw water during winter the winter rains will negate it. In my experience it is growing even in winter and green leaves must be producing carbohydrates for the plant so why stop it.
Question. Pot or bed? Amaryllis requires a little soil does well both in soil and pots but the best growth of the bulb is in the ground.
Question. How deep the bulb should be planted? I plant then up to the neck and do not bother if they get pulled down.
Question. How big a pot? For your valued bulbs I recommend 8-inch pot per bulb. You can put 4-5 bulbs in 8 inches pot or more in a bigger pot for the mass effect.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Ad6R4 ... 65-h704-no

Do not hesitate to ask any question you have in mind.
Arif
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Hippeastrum/Amaryllis

Post by Izhar »

Thank you for this post... they are very easy bulbs and with a little fertilization they bloom every year (with exception of H. papillio)...

Return to “Gardening Discussions”