Anyone familiar with these???

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Anyone familiar with these???

Post by aykhan »

Anyone know if these are maybe available in Pakistan and have a local name? Both fragrant as my search for newer, stronger and "uniquer" fragrances continues.......

Friesodielsia Desmoides “Butterfly” (Annonaceae)

Rauwenhoffia Siamensis “Cat Milk” ( Annonaceae)
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Re: Anyone familiar with these???

Post by aykhan »

BTW both are supposed to be like Ylang Ylang .....
Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

Kaleem
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

aykhan wrote:Anyone know if these are maybe available in Pakistan and have a local name? Both fragrant as my search for newer, stronger and "uniquer" fragrances continues.......

Friesodielsia Desmoides “Butterfly” (Annonaceae)

Rauwenhoffia Siamensis “Cat Milk” ( Annonaceae)
Wow! Didn't know that the shareefa family is so full of fragrant flowers.

BTW, have you encountered Pandanus odoratissmus...you will love the fragrance. I have been looking for the last 13 years without success. We had it in our old house and the whole lawn would become fragrant by one single bloom.

Second one is Michelia champaca, the orange one, in my wish list. Another one for your wish list Desmos chinesis, it had rose like scent. It was available in Karachi with Shalimar nursery.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

All interesting plants. I'm sure these various types of Ylang Ylang are available here it's just that no one know which are which and they are sold as vine and tree only with total ignorance to kind.

Pandanus Odoratissmus is Kewra isn't it? I'd think that might be something local to the region and relatively easy to find!?
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

aykhan wrote: All interesting plants. I'm sure these various types of Ylang Ylang are available here it's just that no one know which are which and they are sold as vine and tree only with total ignorance to kind.
True. And most of them it is based on deceit. One nursery guy was selling me Artabotrys for Rs. 1000, where as the same plant was available for Rs. 10 in Karachi University's nursery.
aykhan wrote: Pandanus Odoratissmus is Kewra isn't it? I'd think that might be something local to the region and relatively easy to find!?
Surprisingly enough it is not common. Although people do use kewra in foods but it is a synthetic material which is nothing in comparison to the real flower. One flower is enough to make its presence known by its sweet aromatic fragrance.
Our old house in the university had it, but when new people came they thought it is a wild growth and removed it. After that I could not find it, neither in Islamabad nor in Karachi's major nurseries.

Orange Michelia and kewra are one of my old wishes.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Yaar orange michelia or Michelia champaca is now commonly available. I have one in the ground for a year and it is probably 8 feet noe but yet to flower. It seems to be doing alright though so maybe needs a thicker stem before it flowers.

I got my artabotrys for Rs 800 last year.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

aykhan wrote:Yaar orange michelia or Michelia champaca is now commonly available. I have one in the ground for a year and it is probably 8 feet noe but yet to flower. It seems to be doing alright though so maybe needs a thicker stem before it flowers.

I got my artabotrys for Rs 800 last year.
Michelia availability is a good news! But in Karachi I have never seen in my life. I had white Michelia, but I wasn't impressed with the fragrance...very light. my white Michelia used to flower while it was quite small (less than 4 ft tall).

Artabotrys is useless in my opinion..almost no perfume if we are talking about naag champa. I had Desmos chinesis, white Michelia and Dwarf Ylang Ylang. All of them profusely flowered. Thanks to my family, no one looked after them...all of them died. Heeray ki qadar joheri hi janay!

If you are looking for unique frangrances then also look for Mimusops elengi (Molsari)...very fragrant and really unique oriental perfume. And the tree is very handsome.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Farooq saheb yeh qatl kaisey honay diya aap ne??? I would be having nightmares for the rest of my life?

I recently acquired Magnolia Figo which the nurseries got from Thailand on a shipment which came through Karachi. Very fragrant.

Mimusops elengi sounds interesting. Not available on a brief google search. Can it flower in a pot being a medium sized tree?

My artabotrys was flowering when I bought it last year towards end of monsoon. I have noticed another bloom ripening a couple of days ago. Last years blooms were quite fragrant. I think this slow growing vine needs to mature before profuse fragrant flowering. After all its famous for its legendary smell so something must be there....
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

aykhan wrote: I recently acquired Magnolia Figo which the nurseries got from Thailand on a shipment which came through Karachi. Very fragrant.
I had only heard about it. Magnolia are quite common in Islamabad.
aykhan wrote: Mimusops elengi sounds interesting. Not available on a brief google search. Can it flower in a pot being a medium sized tree?
No it is a medium sized tree. Upright trunk and round canopy. It survives very well in a pot but will never flower. It is called Molsari in Urdu. It is readily available in Shalimar nursery, if you happen to visit Karachi.
aykhan wrote: My artabotrys was flowering when I bought it last year towards end of monsoon. I have noticed another bloom ripening a couple of days ago. Last years blooms were quite fragrant. I think this slow growing vine needs to mature before profuse fragrant flowering. After all its famous for its legendary smell so something must be there....
The artabotrys I am talking about is different from yours. Mine is a climbing tree (local). Bears green flowers, light fragrance. Yours is a vine.
aykhan wrote:Farooq saheb yeh qatl kaisey honay diya aap ne??? I would be having nightmares for the rest of my life?
Ek Phd ki khatir yeh dukh bhee sehnay peray...I was quite sad when I saw the khasta haal garden pictures. Many types of Bauhinia's ...everything is Gone with the Wind. :-(

Return to “Gardening Discussions”