Fragrance in Gardenia

Moderator: Izhar

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Fragrance in Gardenia

Post by Munir »

Two varieties entered in the database are fragrant.Gardenia plant in my garden doesn't have any fragrance.Is it one of the non-fragrant types,if any or there is some problem with this? Kindly guide. The images:
20130727_105858.jpg
20130727_105858.jpg (119.36 KiB) Viewed 4092 times
20130727_074041.jpg
20130727_074041.jpg (78.26 KiB) Viewed 4092 times
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Fragrance in Gardenia

Post by M Farooq »

Munir shb, it is not gardenia at all. See the entry on Tabernaemontana (just check the spelling).

Regards,

Farooq
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

munir sb it is called channana( چاننا)in local language.it is not gardenia but nurserymen sale it as gardenia.in India it is called "moti chandni"it is double type of chandni(Tabernaemontana)both are not fragrant.flowers ar half in size if compared with gardenia but same shape.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.

Post by Munir »

Thank you Farooq Sb, thank you Hamad AK ,for being so handy as trouble shooters on this Forum.
Munir
Donor
Donor

Post by Munir »

Are these Gardenia plants-planted as such & are they fragrant ?
20130 723_100037.jpg
Sorry, don't have a close up; will get one & send, if required.
Attachments
20130723_100037.jpg
20130723_100037.jpg (117.62 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
Munir
Donor
Donor

Post by Munir »

munir wrote:Thank you Farooq Sb, thank you Hamad AK ,for being so handy as trouble shooters on this Forum.
And how can I forget Tahir Khan, who has recently handled & so deftly, most of my querries & of others, particularly on veggies. So,thank you Tahir also.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

yes munir sb they are probably gardenias but i am not sure because image is not clear.but an important thing is their yellowish leaves gardenias are hungry for iron so due to iron deficency leaves often remain yellowish.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

munir wrote:
munir wrote:Thank you Farooq Sb, thank you Hamad AK ,for being so handy as trouble shooters on this Forum.
And how can I forget Tahir Khan, who has recently handled & so deftly, most of my querries & of others, particularly on veggies. So,thank you Tahir also.

Thank you Munir sahab. I can now feel the utility of the floral database now; with its modest beginning, the database has started to serve as a reference. However, I am worried about the ultimate fate of the forum since it seems now that only 5 people are reading it. I have seen such things happens with excellent forums. Active people started to abandon for whatever reasons and then the forums became infertile and died with time. I hope this very decent gardening forum is not approaching that time...
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

They do look like gardenias. I agree with iron supplementation. Mostly it brings acidity to soil which gardenias love and this acidity names nutrients available to the plants. Remember to feed your gardenias regularly, I'm not a fertilization expert but some NPK every couple of weeks when I remember works well for me. Am for soil pH around 6.5 or even less for best results. It is difficult but iron makes it possible. Some people use sulphuric acid extremely diluted but I haven't tried that yet. Vinegar is another option, if you are a brewed coffee drinker then dump the coffee grounds in the bed. I have many gardenia varieties and they are all doing very well alhamdolillah.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Farooq Saheb forums will become active in certain posts but just like blogs they will slow down and wither gradually. I do not think this forum will completely die but we must remember that the important thing is not the forum but the important thing is the interaction between the wonderful people here. Remember most posts here are from people who want to share a bloom or ask a question requiring a quick answer. This is much more effectively done on social media like Facebook. It is easier there and more fun and people get rapid responses without any navigation at all.

I strongly believe that social media is the best place for interaction and I use the Facebook page of Gardening Pakistan frequently. The sadness you feel here with less people active is what I am experiencing on the Facebook page of the forum. I suggest efforts be made to get the people joining that page, it is much more interactive and less formal. I find it easier to use and communicate on. I am almost daily posting pictures there of my blooms since it is easier. The forum will remain but it cannot be what social media is. They both fulfill different requirements,

Facebook postings can also refer to the forum for more details and that will actually help the forum remain active also.

Return to “Gardening Discussions”