Alas!!!

Moderator: Izhar

muradulislam
City: Mansehra

Alas!!!

Post by muradulislam »

My carnations died, first the red type(not good with colours) and now the white. When bought them they were in a small pot, dug them out and they had compacted clump of roots, transferred them to a bigger container (against my better judgement, wanted to plant them in soil) and they just died. what went wrong.
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Alas!!!

Post by tweedle2009 »

The pros say donot even think about displacing a pot from one place to another between april-august.I ve heard it from several sources that if you even pick a pot and place it to another corner of your garden carnation will die.Source: top nurserymen in Lahore and 2 of the top Landscapists.
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

If I am given a visa by the netherlands, I am sure to bring 10000 carnations from hilverdakooij, the best breeder of carnation in the world.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Tender perennials and annuals when in bloom and root bound most of the time resent transplantation.. but if you liked that very plant very much then follow these steps for better results:

1) Look for the plant with healthy foliage.
2) Not more than 2 open flowers.
3) Chop out every flower bud and opened bloom, without damaging the foliage.
4) Loose some of the potting soil from the base of a root bound plant, not to disturb the whole root system.
5) Do not bury the stem, as most of the time it rots. Here is a pic for better understanding:

Hope this will help you in future...
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

My friends are growing around 20 diff varieties of carnations here in lahore.They always told me not to disturb the plant during april-august.
muradulislam
City: Mansehra

Post by muradulislam »

Thanx guys, i think i'll buy them next year in feb, march and will plant them in soil keeping in mind all these things.

Return to “Gardening Discussions”