Xeriscaping

Moderator: Izhar

newton
City: jhelum

Xeriscaping

Post by newton »

Have any members done Xeriscaping or Xerigardening (utilizing plants such as cacti and succulents that have minimal water requirements.)
1-xeriscaping.jpg 1-004.jpg
some of these gardens look quite stunning
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Xeriscaping

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

We all do xeriscaping. Our summer are so tough that all summer annuals/perennials that survive are infact xeriscaping plants.
newton

Post by newton »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:We all do xeriscaping. Our summer are so tough that all summer annuals/perennials that survive are infact xeriscaping plants.
yes that is stating the obvious but your statement kind of detracts from the nature of the question and doesn't factor how much water you use.

kabhi hasaabh kiya hey? uppar walay ko tho deyna hai na?

aap ko maaloom hey kithney gharrey kooh sey ley key anney parhthey thay ,,,,,,aur sirf pani peeney key lyey.

I can remember and it was tough in them days, without electricity and without a water well in each house, thats the xeriscaping i want to hear about
Attachments
1-c48512e5-a34e-4800-9b10-016.jpg
1-c48512e5-a34e-4800-9b10-016.jpg (196.04 KiB) Viewed 5214 times
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

How much i water is directly proportional to the urge & care i have for certain plant. Or else i can plants listed in another thread labelled as xericaping plants. This raises another question......
Are we willing to forgo our desires for certain plants and choose only endemic, drought resistant, xericaping plants?????
Such endemic plants are always there.......and need no gardening culture.

Now there are two types. One willing to landscape with endemic plants for the sake of low maintenance greens....and the other which will go to any extent.Which type are you :-)?

I hope no one is digging wells these days with present day amenities.
newton

Post by newton »

Xeriscaping means water conservation through creative landscaping. Like any successfull landscape it requires carefull planning and good design utilising many plants from similar climates that are drought tolerant. and grouping plants with similar moisture requirements so that water wastage is minimised.

It is an attractive alternative to the somewhat staid and boring square lawns surrounded by plants the nursery wants us to buy. A design that I see replicated time and time again across many parts of Pakistan.

Pakistan relies mainly on ground source water and day by day wells are drying up. There are still many unfortunate people unable to access the "modern" amenities you refer to. Surely that should not mean they are not entitled to a good garden design idea that this forum may facilitate.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

newton wrote:Xeriscaping means water conservation through creative landscaping.
How is this water conservation achieved?????? Not by watering less but by function of traits of plants like:-
Ability of plant to survive without water for days. This is an adaptive/evolutionary trait. It is achieved by evolving plant parts such as leaves to reduce water loss through transpiration. Reduced transpiration rate otherwise for other life functions. Reduced leaf surface area. Water Storage mechanism and so on.

I concur that with better management and grouping water wastage can be minimized and directed where it is required.
There are still many unfortunate people unable to access the "modern" amenities you refer to.
Will such people venture into ornamental gardening????

Water poured onto the ground is not wasted please see aquifers for water cycle.
If i water my flower bed...more than 90% water will be seeped into the ground. A mere decimal will be used by plant. Henceforth if a plant can tolerate drought, this is the real essence of xeriscaping.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Anyways what plant do you have in mind. I suggest following for xeriscaping...other than cacti & succulent.
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2025&p=22391&hilit ... ING#p22391

There are lot of others as well especially shrubs. Lets list them.

However i think there are other considerations as well which should be taken into account
1)Humidity levels of the place
2)Moisture retention ability of the soil (its a two sided sword, as xeriscaping plants in general dislike too much wet feet, especially in rainy season)
3) UV index
4)Highly free draining media for cacti
5)Rain frequency
newton

Post by newton »

Farhan Bhai seems like you have already started an impressive list of drought tolerant plants that are suitable for xeriscaping,, thank you for the start I will add to that list in due course. Unfortunately I am a bit of a "mohsami baterrha" these days spending the hottest parts of the year in the temperate climate of the UK so fail the knowledge test of the best plants available for that period in Pakistan,, hence the start of the xeriscaping idea.

I seek ideas now to put the plants together in a way that is suitable to the Pakistan climate, contemporary but visually stunning.

I know in my own garden in Pakistan (which I only started earlier this year) I have avoided wherever possible plants that require intensive watering during the summer heats.

Return to “Gardening Discussions”