Thailand anyone?

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Thailand anyone?

Post by aykhan »

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a trip to Thailand for purchase of plants? Just came across my mind a couple of days ago. If even 3-4 four people are ready then we can plan at a mutually convenient time keeping the weather in consideration. Maybe 3-4 days will be enough if it is a well planned trip. It does not have to be this year even as long as we can plan something. I am seriously considering this. The options for jasmines, gardenias, plumerias, adeniums, fragrant tropical etc. will be unlimited and the price excellent. Should be a memorable event and fun.
Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Re: Thailand anyone?

Post by Kaleem »

Good
what will be the approximated cost for this whole trip?
Kaleem
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Once we decide we can check with a travel agent. Mostly cost of ticket. Normal 3 star hotel on shared basis will be cheap. Rest is food (also cheap) and what you buy.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Almost all the plants imported from Thailand are available in Pakistan. The nursery owners tend to import in bulk and get signficant discounts. There is also a limit to how many plants can be carried in a checked in bag. Plus if one plans to import large number of plants then airconditioned containers have be arranged whose fare is quite high. Then the customs department in Karachi tends to create delays and the bureaucratic procerdures (import permit, phyto certificate etc) end up making the costs high.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Imran Saheb there is a difference of opinion here. I went to Abbas Nursery today and they have a few magnolias from Thailand and some plumerias non of which are labelled and they are 5 times the price in Thailand anyways. I've been looking for Mitrephora and some other annonacea as well as some Bauhinias but they are hard to find and will be by chance. I've also been hunting for jasmine Mali Chat but it is rare. There are so many more like various crinums and gardenias etc All these plants can be found easily in Thailand at good prices and I hope accurate labeling since they ship worldwide. Small rooted plants and cuttings can easily be carried even in ones carry-on and although I've never had a problem but Thailand nurseries provide phytosanitary certificates free mostly. Then the experience of seeing these nurseries must be something. Of course I am not talking about containers to be shipped! The other option would be to have a nursery oblige you by getting the plants you need. Then they will ask for a pound of flesh and you will never know what you got is what you wanted.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

You have a point regarding the prices at which these plants are sold here in pakistan. At times we don't see the hidden costs such as survival of plants/shipment delays/bribes to get the shipment released in a timely manner etc. In March this year container of of five nurseries got delayed by two weeks and around 30-40% of the plants in the container perished.
The 2nd option of coordinating the visit with nursery owners might be more feasible but then again there is chance that one would have to share with the cost of getting the container released (bribes, local permits etc). Or one may request Nursery owners to import some plants which may not be on their list and then again as pointed rightly by you that " Then they will ask for a pound of flesh and you will never know what you got is what you wanted."
it would all depend upon the credibility of the nursery owner. Some nursery owners like Mr. Mohiuddin of Abbas Nursery have integrity and credibility and can oblige you if requested. Recently i requested him to import Piper Nigrum along with Osmanthus Fragrans which he was kind enough and considerate to hand carry and didn't charge any amount.
Even for plumeria's the prices at which these plants are sold are outrageous. Rather than end up buying the plumeria sticks at outrageous prices, it is better to grown plumeria from seed. It takes atleast two years for the rootstock to develop in a healthy plant which can be grafted in our local champa. I imported some seeds from a site based in germany which offers 20-25 varieties of Plumeria two years back . The seed tends to emerge quickly within a week. Around september i shall graft these plumerias in our local plumeria and one can even share cuttings with other members. if grafted successfully the plumeria gives flowers within an year. The same can be done with Adeniums.
Last edited by mikhurram on August 13th, 2013, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Plumeria from seeds are exciting but you never know what you'll get. I am focusing on known cultivars for now. I have given up on adenium since few die every year. I'm seriously considering a trip next year maybe February.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

BTW FYI Abbas is selling small magnolia plants unknown cultivars for upto Rs 6000 and same for unknown plumeria! That's 60 dollars! You can get most rooted cuttings of named plumerias from Thailand for $10-15 and I'm sure they will discount on higher purchase.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

I have also given up on buying adeniums. Adeniums grown from seed tend to develop quickly within an year and chances are 90% that they are of the common pink variety. Even if they are of common colour they can be used as a base for grafting or Adenium cordex can be bought in the range of Rs 200-Rs 250. The best option would be to get hold of these desi Adenium cordex and graft in them branches of known varieties from friends who are inevitably going to dispose the branches when they prune their adeniums.
The main challenge keeping adeniums in Punjab are to protect them from cold during December/January. There are some adenium varieties which are more cold resistant than the common obesum variety offered for sale. These varieties (Boehmianum , Swazicum, Arabicum & Multiflorum) grow wild in Africa and stand a better chance of withstanding cold. I have seen on rare occasions the Boehmianum being offered for sale
As an insurance i am going to graft stems from my lot of adeniums and graft them in the desi cordex. In case even if a known variety perishes, i have a backup.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

aykhan wrote:BTW FYI Abbas is selling small magnolia plants unknown cultivars for upto Rs 6000 and same for unknown plumeria! That's 60 dollars! You can get most rooted cuttings of named plumerias from Thailand for $10-15 and I'm sure they will discount on higher purchase.
AY Khan sb just one question why Thailand is known for plants, is it because of the climate conditions or is it their expertise?

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Gardening Discussions”