Lilium Care

Moderator: Izhar

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Lilium Care

Post by Munir »

I planted a new Lilium bulb two years back, as a maiden attempt. It bloomed in 2013,but not this year.Its present state is as under:

Similarly,a new bulb planted in 2013 also did not bloom even Ist year,unlike one planted a year earlier.The current picture-same since early Mar,is as below:

Please notice the set of new baby growth at two places of the 2nd plant.

Questions:
. Is the pattern of growth & blooming normal? If not,what should have been?
. Is new baby growth with the 2nd plant normal? If so why it did not occur with the 1st plant;is that also normal?At some stage can they be separated for reuse?
. What do I do with the plants; let them dry & then preserve the bulbs for next year planting or let them stay in this shape & keep watering them normally?
. In either case, when next are they expected to bloom?
. Any other point/tip?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Lilium Care

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Based on my experience this might of some help.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3768#p38024
Arif
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Re: Lilium Care

Post by Hamad »

I planted a new Lilium bulb two years back, as a maiden attempt. It bloomed in 2013,but not this year.Its present state is as under
foliage is looking very healthy though and there are three plants in first picture, one reason could be baby bulbs coz after flowering mother corm gives several baby corms and in some cases mother corm die, this could be the reason in first pic, its always good to dig your corm at the end of the season and separate babies from mother and you could check if mother corm is intact or dead.

Similarly,a new bulb planted in 2013 also did not bloom even Ist year,unlike one planted a year earlier.The current picture-same since early Mar,is as below
again bulb size could be the reason and any growth that is coming out of soil are from baby corms you could separate them at the end of the season like any other lily.

Hope this may help :)
you could further discuss their conditions on every stage.

Kind regards
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Gardening Discussions”