Iris Talk

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Iris Talk

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I have failed to get blooms from my L Irises. I am not giving up.
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by tweedle2009 »

TB's have a problem blooming here I guess but Louisiana flowers in Lahore.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I talked to the lady who sold me the TB Iris bulbs and she said they would be alright in our heat. She said they could take the 120 degree heat pretty well and I shouldn't be surprised that they might one even welt underbthat heat. Some protection from the afternoon sun might be desirable but they shouldnt die. Let's see what happens I guess :)
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

A friend of mine lives in Canal view Lahore where he has some TB's in the ground.They seem to be doing OK during the summer heat but haven't flowered as yet.Been there for two years now.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I wonder if he's keeping them too wet? If the heat is preventing them from flowering they really should flower in fall or spring!
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

One of the factors in bud formation is the day and night temperature. It is quite possible that night temperature does not get low enough for bud formation for TB's. Here is an interesting paper on bud formation of B. Iris plants with regard to temperature http://ashs.confex.com/ashs/2010/webpro ... r3485.html
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Yes khabbab inheardvthis before also. I think gardenias like temps lower at night compared to day to bud. However there is good variance in temps in winter and spring so I cantvunderstand why the iris won't bloom? Could it have something to do with soil pH?
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

IMO, soil PH is normally not the culprit. Most of garden soils in lahore are balanced enough. Still i plant important plants in 2 different mediums. One is slightly acidic and one is slightly alkaline and then observe which one flourishes most. For difficult plants, you must experiment.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
ahussain
City: Beach Park

Post by ahussain »

Iris should always be planted on top of the dirt. One can grow them in Lahore. The reason why your Iris are not blooming is because of the heat.

Return to “Gardening Discussions”