need help

Moderator: Izhar

M-YC
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Aquarium fishes & Aquatic plants

need help

Post by M-YC »

Hello happy gardeners,

I am looking for organic soil/dirt to use it in my planted tank as a substrate. It could be either made out of food compost or Manure but must be toxin free. Does anyone have ann idea where should i look for it. I contacted one of the local brand of organic fruits & vegetables and they are a complete rip off. I am looking for somewhere around 15-20 kg and willing to pay as well.

Thanks
ovais909
Gardening Interests: Watching plants grow! =p

Re: need help

Post by ovais909 »

You can find compost from any nursery in Karachi!! its alittle expensive though!
M-YC
Gardening Interests: Aquarium fishes & Aquatic plants

Post by M-YC »

I looked for it in various nurseries but no luck. All they have is a soil manure mixture which is of no use to me. I am looking for something which is either made of food compost or poultry manure.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

If you want it for aquatic plants then opt for an imported Aquatic Compost (Loam-based compost with added grit to give weight and stability to pond plant containers) by John Bowers available at Pride Seeds, Lahore.
hnasir
Gardening Interests: Orchids
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

Hello, well I have just been through this and I don't think you're aiming in the right direction. Food compost and manure, will float in your planted tank. If you're looking for a cheap fix, get yourself baalu mitti (it's sweet sand), and some bajri. Go onto youtube and look at videos as to how they 'clean' the sand. Spread two inches of ballu mitti.

Then, sift the bajri through a fine sieve so you get gritty particles and the fine ones are wasted. Spread half an inch to an inch of this over the ballu mitti. Then slowly and gradually add water/plants and you're done!

Return to “Gardening Discussions”