Fragrance and Temperature

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Fragrance and Temperature

Post by Izhar »

I planted Stocks "Harmony" series and was disappointed that it was not fragrant though beautiful but as the temperatures are rising they are becoming intensely fragrant...!!! anyone can notice the fragrance 20-30 feet away..

The other flowers which were not earlier and now became fragrant are:

Nicotianas
Madame Butterfly Snapdragons
Pansies
Petunias (very mild)
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Re: Fragrance and Temperature

Post by khabbab »

Great. Fragrance is surely related to heat as well. Most of tropical fragrant plants emit fragrance when temperatures are high.

@Izhar, are these stocks which are called ten week stocks?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Yes they have a common name of "Ten week stocks"... the Harmony series is a dwarf and branching variety... the flower spike is short but due to branching they produce multiple spikes on one plants.. ideal for pots and foreground in beds..

Another thing I missed is that the fragrance of Nasturtiums which was like tea-rose has changed to a spicy odor, like that of chilies... I am planing for a mass planting of Datura "Evening Fragrance" near the house gate for perfumed air in night..
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Maybe someday I can smell a Ylang Ylang vine bloom in the heat and experience the famous smell I have yet to experience :x
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

I didn't know pansies were fragrant.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Temperature plays great role in case of fragrance plus it also matters person to person.different people have different smelling power depending on the cells in the nose.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

aykhan wrote:Maybe someday I can smell a Ylang Ylang vine bloom in the heat and experience the famous smell I have yet to experience :x
I am 100% sure there are many varieties of ylang ylang vine and each varies fragrance level. I am nuts about fragrant flowers but after sniffing this vine in lawence gardens, i was disappointed. If you have to stick nose to get fragrance then there are much better options. My buddleja asiatica(winter lilac) is blooming with 100+ spikes and honey fragrance is filling whole street not just my home. Waiting for all spikes to flower then post pics.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Dear Izhar,

Kinldy put some photos of your stocsk. my stock goldcut have just started to bloom but no fragrance , only freesia is giving fragranca and whole room is filled with it now, also what is the update of your CALLAS now ? i need full step by step guidance of CALLAs this year Inshallah i will try them.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

@ aykhan: There is a source of Ylang ylang in Karachi with extremely fragrant flowers, me and Mir sb. has experienced the fragrance, if you want it then I can try to get it for you...

@ tweedle2009: Pansies especially the small flowered Violas are fragrant and you dont need to sniff them, the fragrance can be detected 2-3 feet away, for Petunias and Madame Butterfly Snapdragons you need to get a bit close..

@ Khabbab bhai: thank you for reminding me Buddleja asiatica, it was Aloysia virgata which I found here, is there any difference in the fragrance?? actually the housing society in which I reside has contacted me for developing the beds of newly constructed Mosque and the park, I'll be starting a new topics for the suggestions..

@ Syed Adnan: The Callas are growing just fine, one new bloom on the Z.aethiopica, lets see how they will perform in summer, they are growing under full sun, I have fertilized them with DAP too. Here are the Stocks I was referring to, the bed is 11' x 2' and 7-8 plants of each color:

aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Izhar if the Ylang Ylang is the fragrant one I would love to have one, im sure Khabbab would too :) we are both suckers for fragrant plants....

Return to “Gardening Discussions”