Soil mix for seedlings

The how to's, cultivation details of various plants, propagation methods etc Everything you need to know for successful gardening.

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Soil mix for seedlings

Post by Izhar »

Well GP mates, here is my promised post... using simple and readily available components you can make you own seedling mix, which proved to me excellent in most seed germination so far:

One part Baalu matti or Bhaalu matti:

One part Well rotted manure or leaf compost:

Half part coco coir, rinse the coir with water atleast two time as it contain salt:

All the components should be moisten a day before using, mix them well:

Start putting them in pot like sprinkling, so that the mixture is extremely penetrable to water, air and seed roots:

Fill it to the top and level it by hand or any toll, DO NOT COMPRESS it:

Water it well using fine showers:

Let it stand for 10-15 mins then sprinkle the seeds:

Put some moist coco coir on seeds and gently press them:

Water the mix lightly and put it in a place where there is no direct sunlight. Now start praying!!
S.Ahmed
Gardening Interests: Amateur gardener,Fragrant plants,Flowering Plants,Vegetables,Coconuts

Re: Soil mix for seedlings

Post by S.Ahmed »

Finally! Now I have Bhaalu matti and well rotted manure available at hand, but not coco coir(though I have coconuts available on my trees)

Final layer of coco coir,how thick would that be? should final layer of coco coir be also sprinkled and then pressed?

Also post pic of your garden shower hose and also share what else you sowed besides zinnia dahlia double scarlet.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

JazakAllah Izhar sb. Very helpful as I am also looking for perfect mix for seeds because this year some of the seeds did not even sprouted and some which sprouted were burn by manure after some time.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Very informative.
All the components should be moisten a day before using
moisten bole to?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

S.Ahmed wrote:Finally! Now I have Bhaalu matti and well rotted manure available at hand, but not coco coir(though I have coconuts available on my trees)

Final layer of coco coir,how thick would that be? should final layer of coco coir be also sprinkled and then pressed?

Also post pic of your garden shower hose and also share what else you sowed besides zinnia dahlia double scarlet.
Coco coir is available in garden shops easily, nowadays it is @ Rs 100/- small block which can make more than 30 liter after swelling, you can search on google regarding coco coir.

Just enough coco coir to cover the seeds should be sprinkled, i have sowed some annuals e.g. zinnia some vines e.g. mina lobata and passiflora

You can use any garden hose which has very fine shower, will upload the pic soon..
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Mustansir Billah wrote:JazakAllah Izhar sb. Very helpful as I am also looking for perfect mix for seeds because this year some of the seeds did not even sprouted and some which sprouted were burn by manure after some time.
Mustansir, dont use manure as it is, soak the manure in a bucket with water for two days then discard the water and use this manure... alternatively you can buy prepared compost from shops near old sabzi mandi..
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

khabbab wrote:moisten bole to?
I thoroughly soak all the material with water a day before... so when it is used it has enough moisture in it, so it is workable and doesn't compacts when sprinkled...
S.Ahmed
Gardening Interests: Amateur gardener,Fragrant plants,Flowering Plants,Vegetables,Coconuts

Post by S.Ahmed »

Izhar wrote:
Mustansir Billah wrote:JazakAllah Izhar sb. Very helpful as I am also looking for perfect mix for seeds because this year some of the seeds did not even sprouted and some which sprouted were burn by manure after some time.
Mustansir, dont use manure as it is, soak the manure in a bucket with water for two days then discard the water and use this manure... alternatively you can buy prepared compost from shops near old sabzi mandi..

That water from manure can't be used to water plants,will they burn?
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

You can use it on your trees or other established plants...
S.Ahmed

Post by S.Ahmed »

Now i will have to search for coir as well,yesterday went to Jodia bazar for ferrous sulphate , nobody had ferrous sulphate,has anyone here recently bought ferrous sulphate? ,also bought DAP, NPK, Magnisium sulfate(epsom salt) and elemental sulfur(Now I will have to read what to do with all of them).

You earlier said Bhaalu matti isn't available outside Karachi,what alternative should they use and instead of coco coir can shredded wood from carpenter shop be also used because if I am not wrong,coir isn't providing any nutrient to seed for growing,its just for covering the seeds & keeping soil moist and damp right?

Return to “Knowledge Hub”