Rapid Growth Trees

The how to's, cultivation details of various plants, propagation methods etc Everything you need to know for successful gardening.

Moderator: Izhar

Tasawwur
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Kitchen Gardening, Trees to reduce our carbon foot print.

Rapid Growth Trees

Post by Tasawwur »

Hi,
A few days back a very interesting video link is shared. Its a very short video almost 5 Minutes.
https://www.ted.com/talks/shubhendu_sha ... anguage=en

I was amazed by the idea that such intense forest can be grown in so little space. I'd like tree experts to please go through it. I am interested in replicating the process in Pakistan but I don't know the details. Although I have approached Mr Sharma for details but his answer is still awaited. If you guys can help out by watching the video, I'll be much grateful
Tasawwur

Re: Rapid Growth Trees

Post by Tasawwur »

22 views and no comments???
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Tasawwur wrote:22 views and no comments???
If I had a few thousand acres of land it might interest me, what do you expect from members of this forum who have the gardening as a hobby.
Frankly there wasn't any thing new for me.
Arif
Tasawwur

Post by Tasawwur »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
Tasawwur wrote:22 views and no comments???
If I had a few thousand acres of land it might interest me, what do you expect from members of this forum who have the gardening as a hobby.
Frankly there wasn't any thing new for me.
Arif

Dear Arif,
First of all, thanks for responding. The whole idea of this video is that you don't need a thousand acre to grow a tiny forest and maybe it wasn't new for you but it was for me, and as a new member of this forum and beginner in the field of gardening, I asked only for help so that i can replicate the process in my land. That's what I was expecting from the members of this forum to help a new gardener as I don't know the technical details.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Growing a mini forest sounds good but when you come to face the reality you also face a few questions.
1 What for?
2 Space available to you, that you must develop.
3 Availability of water and other resources .
4 Is it the best utilisation of land and resources you have.

Waiting for your answers.
Arif
yawer
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Post by yawer »

I am in process to grow mini forest using an area of about 80 x 40 feet area (not exact). Trees mostly are poplar and eucalyptus. So far have planted about 100 poplar trees at a spacing of average 3 feet apart. Others too as same distance.

One other tree called Moringa which has enormous medicinal benefits (kindly google it to see it full benefits) is now my next target for plantation in July-August as I have one and also harvested it last year by cutting down to 6 feet height. It again sprouted even more vigorously. Moringa is far more fast growing than Poplar and other trees and of course one can use in various dishes too.

The mini forest is still under development as I started this year. So far seems to be very successful. Cost of poplar trees was 500 rupees for 100 tree bunch. Others are also not so expensive.

The above trees didn't need any vigorous watering, rather I hardly watered them. Didn't require any pesticide.

My purpose of growing a mini forest was 1. to attract more insects for my hens, 2. Shade and roaming area 3. Aesthetics of a heavy shaded area 4. Wood supply for fireplace after 4 years (in a cycle) and of course my personal liking of thick woody space.

regards,
Yawer
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Moringa (SWANJNA) and popular would have grown as fast from large cuttings.
Chickens and gardening do not go together.
good luck happy foresting
Arif
yawer
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Post by yawer »

Yes agreed. These have been.planted through large cuttings.
i have poultry shed of 1200 golden hens and forest is bounded by a fence with only fruit and other trees, so all goes very well.

Regards
Yawer
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Ah free roaming chickens, but would require more room.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

A forest is really an ecosystem with biodiversity supporting each other. Usually it is best from native plantings.
A plantation can be a collection of trees that are grown commercially. Very often they contribute little to an ecosystem therefore to call it a forest or mini forest is wrong. In my humble opinion there are a number of local trees that are fast growth like the pippli jamnu drek ber tut that when combined with coppicing trees can create your desired effecr. Poplar isnt a native tree and doesnt increase bio diversity very much.
Once you have established which trees are suitable for your plot you then have to consider the elements of woodland or forest gardening in order to enjoy and tend to what you have created. Woodland gardening is a subject in its very own right with differant requirements. it can also be a very beautifull garden with little maintenance... many japanese gardens utulise heavy woodland planting with understory ferns streams mosses bajri shrubbery etc....
if its your plan to leave it to grow naturally then over a course of years plants and trees will naturally colonise but you wouldnt be able to call it a garden or a forest with just poplar trees.

Return to “Knowledge Hub”