Kitchen Gardening-Growing Veggies

Advice on Veggies, Herbs and Fruits

Moderator: Izhar

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Kitchen Gardening-Growing Veggies

Post by Munir »

An appeal.
My personal experience in gardening is that growing vegetables is no less,if not more enjoyable, pleasurable & rewarding than growing flowers .Even fruit growing is no less either.While we devote so much time & effort on growing flowers & rightly so, we pay little attention to growing veggies & fruit, notwithstanding availability of space & resources. This is not an effort to undermine the great value of ornamental & flower gardens, but it is only to remind members about the importance of growing veggies & fruits also. Everyone would know the numerous benefits of a kitchen garden, as such need not be listed here. I will therefore, forcefully but humbly urge all members, particularly ladies to spare some time & space for growing veggies & fruit trees also, even if in containers.
. Now is the right time to sow all winter vegetables, except Tomatoes,Chilies & Brinjal, who’s sowing could be delayed till Nov/Dec. To remind those interested, Winter Veggies include: Radish, Carrot, Turnip, Spinach ,Fenugreek ( maithi),some other 'Saag',Peas, Garlic, Onion, Leek ,Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Kohl Rabi, Beet, Potato, Lettuces including Iceberg, Pak Choi, Parsley, Celery, Coriander, Red Radish, Mint, some other herbs ie. Basil, Oregano, Dill, Chives;Tomato,Peppers & Brinjal.
> Must grow if only in containers: Coriander,Mint,Basil,Lettuce,Red Radish & Cherry Tomato.
> Must grow if in ground: All 6 above+ Long Radish,Spinach, Beet root,Garlic,Cabbage & Broccoli . Others if more space is available.
. Details can be discussed, as required. I am no expert on gardening including growing veggies, but we luckily have members like Tahir, Asim & a few others who can help.
. May I once again reiterate the importance/need of a kitchen garden.Let us avail this opportunity & start/add at least one veggie in our gardens, this month/season. Even if one reader adds even one veggie, I ll consider my effort/Appeal is not in vain. I myself am trying my luck with each & every one of the above. Many already sown, some have sprouted
PS. Do earmark/set aside some space for Strawberries also, to be planted in early Nov.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: Kitchen Gardening-Growing Veggies

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I totally agree with your point and for the this purpose I have already sowed seeds of tomato, Onion, Carrot, Brinjal, Ridge gourd and shimla mirch and they have all sprouted.
Farah Muzaffar
City: DHA Islamabad
Gardening Interests: From flowers to vegetables ... love to grow bulbs

Post by Farah Muzaffar »

I am totally agreed with you Mr.Munir and I already have a lemon plant in container which starts fruits now first time and am so excited :) ... Others are corriender, mint, salad leaves and curry pata... In all of them my mint is bit in low standard ... And now I am planing for tomatoes and some other vegetables according the calender in containers ... I need the recommendation of you expert people please ... #1. Can I used plastic containers for vegetables instead of terra cotta ? #2 . Can I sow seeds of tomatoes in early December for a spring fruit? I should be thankful if you answer my quarries ...
ashrafmujtaba
City: Multan
Gardening Interests: Kitchen Gardening

Post by ashrafmujtaba »

Nice information
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Farah Muzaffar wrote:............. #1. Can I used plastic containers for vegetables instead of terra cotta ?
Why not but why do you want to use plastic containers,when they are more expensive?
#2 . Can I sow seeds of tomatoes in early December for a spring fruit? I should be thankful if you answer my quarries ...
You may or wait a week more,but better ask the seed vendor while buying seeds.Try growing vine tomatoes if you can protect them from cold with plastic. This is the right time to transplant seedlings,if you can get them from some nursery/seed shop in Islamabad.
Farah Muzaffar
City: DHA Islamabad
Gardening Interests: From flowers to vegetables ... love to grow bulbs

Post by Farah Muzaffar »

I want to use plastic because they are long lasting... But if I can have terra coata than sure will go for that... First I thought of wooden boxes because I have many pallet wood from my old crates but someone said that there is a chance of termite so I dropped that idea ... Basically I need deep rectangular container on first priority in terra coata and on second plastic ...
Thanks a lot for your help ...
suffi
City: Haripur
Gardening Interests: kitchen gardenign , landscaping, medicinal plants reading and cultivation,

Post by suffi »

i totally agree with you , we can use top roof for kitchen garden in cantainers
marif
Gardening Interests: Kitchen Gardening, all seasonal Vegetables and herbs.

Post by marif »

No No Munir Sb, your appeal about growing veggies can not go in vain, rather any such thing from experienced n knowledgeable person in this field, like you, is not an appeal for raw people like us, it is just command for us -:)) we should listen to experience and act on it with our sincere effort. Your post has lot of information and encouragement for new people like us, Thank you. KG is my hobby which is developing and growing everyday and I love it, even though I have only my weekend to give to my KG. I try to do everything with my own hands, from digging and preparing the beds to sowing the plants in it, and than wedding and keep an eye on insects, even I made home made compost with all the kitchen waste and dried leaves and grass clipping etc. as I am new and don't know much, so I did some blunders in my KG as well, but I am learning :-)))

I have a little worry, which I want to share with all the experienced folks, 2nd week of September I planted onions seeds, they sprouted well and the seedlings were about 10 inch high and healthy, last weekend on 15th of Dec I have prepared a bed and planted the onion seedlings in that as per instruction in KG Veggie Calender. Next day our Malie baba told my wife that this is not right time to plant the seedlings, it should be planted in 2nd week of January. Now these plants will not grow onions rather they will just grow and produce flowers for new seeds... -:((
My whole day labour and hardwork is in vain.. :-( but I am still keeping my finger crossed and praying for the good results.
FarahAkhtar
City: Multan
Gardening Interests: Kitchen gardening, Organic gardening, Garden design

Post by FarahAkhtar »

I am growing a few veggies now. My dhania (coriander) sprouted and growing beautifully. And now I've setmy mind on mint and oregano. I have grown mint already but I wanna know what is oregano called if I wanted to ask in nursery. Google gives too fancy a namr. Also, I grew dhania from dried seeds you get from market as a spice. Would it be possible to grow oregano from the seeds thst way?a Are seeds easily available?

Return to “Kitchen Gardening”