New Container Kitchen Gardener

Advice on Veggies, Herbs and Fruits

Moderator: Izhar

saood
City: Al Khobar
Gardening Interests: Edible Container Gardening

New Container Kitchen Gardener

Post by saood »

I am a beginner gardener starting off with container gardening and therefore had to look at the internet for learning. Generally the stuff is US focused and they promote the use of potting soil. Now in Pakistan if we start using potting soil, it can get very expensive. I do however understand that using garden soil in containers has its downside, but then how to overcome this problem? Also they suggest huge container sizes for tomatoes and peppers and cucumbers. Now all of this could get very expensive. As the bigger the container size the more potting soil and the more expensive it get.

As a beginner when trying out a couple of things, the heavy cost can be afforded. Going forward, when hopefully things do turn out to be positive, and the containers increase, the cost would become a big hindrance. How would you advise to address this issue.

Btw, I also wanted a "Desi" touch to my new found interest.

Will appreciate the help. I currently live in Saudi Arabia. The climate from now on until end of April is suitable for gardening. At the moment the High Temp is 90F (30C) and lows of 70F (20C). Which are gradually going to reduce until December and then back to the current level by end April. Rains will be here and there. But not much of an issue. Since this is the best time over here I want to get some hand on experience in it.

Looking for help.

Saood
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: New Container Kitchen Gardener

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Welcome to the forum Saood sb. :D
Garden soil can also be used in pots but it should drain the water well and have lots of manure or compost or peat moss in it for nutrients required by plants in pots. Now, When the temperature is reducing you can grow tomatoes, cucumber, pepper in large pots and similarly other vegetables which suites you. And What do you mean by Desi touch?
saood

Post by saood »

Thank you Mustansir Sb.

The Goras tell me that garden soil and organic nutrition is not good for container gardening. Mother nature work can not be replicated in the space between the container and therefore they say we must think differently. Potting soil consisting of Peat Moss, Verminculite, Perlite, etc is the medium for soil and non-organic fertilizer for nutrition. Now all of this is not giving the "Desi" touch of a traditional "Gamlay:)

I will try with the garden soil over here - which is very much just plain sand but where will I get manure from and further even if I get I will not be able to use it fresh. It has to be aged at least or composted preferably? You said peat Moss for nutrition? Does it provide nutrition also? I thought it was just a substitute for soil.

As for pots - when you say large pots, what do you mean by it. How much depth and width?

You live in Gulshan-e-Iqbal. Do you do grow vegetables in containers or are they grown in ground? Are they grown in your home or somewhere else?
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Saood.
I fully agree to your point of view regarding container media especially for delicate flowering plants. Veggies are little hardier and tolerate harsh soil conditions. Though additives mentioned by you are costlier here, it is upto you how much you are willing to spend. You can add compost commercially available or crude form available at nurseries. Cow manure can be purchased from dairy farms and let to dry in open sun for sometime. The condition of manure will let you know how old it is......smell and moisture are some indicators.
Peat Moss, Vermiculite, Perlite have no nutritional value unless the manufacturer has specifically mentioned and have done some amendments in the composition. Soil and compost are 2 basic ingredients. If you do not plan to replace container soil you will require artificial fert, compost topping ot foliage spray.
Large pots mean a minimum of 14 inch dia as well as depth. Larger the better.
saood

Post by saood »

Thanks Farhan for your reply.

As I am more interested in edible gardening, it means that harsher soil conditions can be tolerated by veggies. Thats some good news.
The cow manure from dairy farm. How long to keep it to dry?
Further is there compost available commercially in Karachi? From where?

Over here I do find composted cow manure - 25 litre for 10 Saudi Riyals. Are such organic products available in Pakistan, especially Karachi?
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Yes most of things are available though at higher rates.
Drying of the cow manure will depend on the state at which you bought. When it stops stinking and comparatively drier let it bake in sun (in open spread form) for 3-4 days. Then use sparingly. Do mix it well. Topping is of no use.
Karachi is a big hub, you will find whatever you need. Empress market, Old sabzi mandi shops, specialized compost shops such as khaizan etc. You can browse through our gardening resources section for details
Kiranshah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: yes, me so excited

Post by Kiranshah »

Very interesting, topic here you all discussed, i feel like its my home, thanks all
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

In addition if you get the chance try to source some composted leaf mould it makes a very good potting soil media

Return to “Kitchen Gardening”