I ACQUIRED SOME FRUIT TREES

Advice on Veggies, Herbs and Fruits

Moderator: Izhar

Madiha Humbal
City: Karachi

I ACQUIRED SOME FRUIT TREES

Post by Madiha Humbal »

Dear gardeners, I acquired some fruit trees to be planted in a kiyari (at my moms place). The trees are as follows, a desi lemon plant, a banana plant. A pomegranate shrub and papaya plants (both male and female). The lemon and the banana plant are still very small. Around two feet in height, the pomegranate shrub is five feet tall and the papaya plants are four feet in height. I will post the pictures where and how they are planted. I don't want them to grow very tall and have very thick trunks. My preference are small bushy types with abundant fruits. The spot where they are planted receives four to five hours of sunlight in summers.Tthe area remains shaded in the winters. Please give me suggestions on how to care for them through pruning, fertilizing and disease and pest control (organically).
Waiting anxiously for your reply.
JAZAKALLAH
Madiha Humbal

Re: I ACQUIRED SOME FRUIT TREES

Post by Madiha Humbal »

dear gardeners, here are the pics of the plants that i have mentioned above. please advice me about the plants requirements accordingly. also, i have heard that the pomegranate does not bloom and fruit in karachi, is it true????

THE PLANTING SITE

THE BANANA PLANT

THE CURRY PATTA

THE LEMON PLANT

THE POMEGRANETE PLANT

THE PAPAYA PLANT

Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Generally, Pomegranate plant does not fruit in Karachi but can fruit in Karachi as I have seen huge pomegranate plant producing fruits near my house.
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

Thank you Mustansir sahab. the site where ihave planted recieves four hours of sunlight in the summers. and none in the winters. the trees or shrubs that are more than five feet tall get a good direct sun of eight hours, except at the spot where the banana is planted. it gets an unobstructed sun of six hours in the summers. is that enough for the plants???? i hope it is not too hot for the pomegranete tree, and it gets i good cool spot in the winters.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

the trees are too close to each other and also the bed is very narrow... they will grow but for good fruiting this close planting is not recommended..
yawer
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Post by yawer »

6 hours of sun is good enough but closely planted fruit trees won't give enough fruiting. I have planted mostly 18 feet apart and few 15 feet. In case interdistance is less (e.g. East West direction ) then let go the branches on other side (North South) to compensate for less fruiting.
Yawer
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

Thanks for the advice
malik593
City: islamabad
Gardening Interests: ornamental gardening

Post by malik593 »

i think you have not choosen the right place for planting banana it requires place to expand and that curry patta is gonna create a lot of mess so you better get rid of second one,papaya's can't be retained as far as size is concerned and lemons can be trained as bushy just don't prune them i pruned mine and it's a in a bad shape (more then 10 year old) although it produces loads of quality lemons every year
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

If only the space matched your enthusiasm, alas they will look nice for a short while and then with the passionate way you will care for them out grow the kiari.

If your determined to keep them all then enjoy them while you can but be prepared to transplant in order to do the plants justice. The lemon will be fine as they can cope with having their roots restricted like fig trees.

Does the soil go through to natural ground or a concrete sub base?
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

thankyou Newton for understanding the passion. and yes the kiyari opens up into natural ground from below, so hopefully the roots will seep into the grounds as they grow.

Return to “Kitchen Gardening”