Root-stock for budding roses

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Root-stock for budding roses

Post by aykhan »

When it comes to roses I don't think any rose comes close to double delight. I wouldn't mind having a hundred of them! I was wondering how to get root stock to attempt t-budding double delight. Should I just take cuttings from the desi gulab and after it roots then try the budding. Is any time of the year better to try this adventure?
UMAR KHAN

Re: Root-stock for budding roses

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Aoa Khan sb from my experice i,l prefer to produce double delight own root plants.take some good cuttings when u re pruning ur roses.plant then in good potting mixture in pots in shady place.own root roses are good as compaired to budded roses.less care,no suckers,no bud union problem.if u want to budd.bring some budded roses from the market.remove the bud union,promotong the wild shrub.take cuttings in dec,when the danger of frost is past.plants from cuttings in Dec will be ur root stock ready to be budded in moonsoon(july).ur budded roses will be ready for planting in Jan.this is professtional approach.i budded some 1500 roses this year.Double Delight of course other roses can not match its beauty.at the end i,l repeat if u can prepaire own root plants that are good.budded roses are prepaired for commercial purpose.the commercial growers have thier own values.for home grower own root is best.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Yes Umar sahib I also prefer own root roses the problem is I might just be able to make 4 or 5 cutting from the doible delight I have since they are not old plants while I'm sure I can bud several. your point is well taken and the goal is to ultimately have all roses in my garden own root.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

next time i will replace my budded stcok with own root stuff Inshallah.Double Delight is my favourite.take cuttings from the wild stock in early spring and plant them in rows in a field.that will be the first step towards budding.the stock will be ready in moonsoon for DD budding.graft 3 buds in on a single plant to prevent damage.u,l have 3 buds union on a single bush.
Omar

Post by Omar »

could you please advise a good and economical nursery from where to get this variety in Lahore
thanx.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Double delight is readily available from most good nurseries especially when they start selling towers in January in Punjab. I got my DD roses from Pattoki for Rs 100 each.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Khan sb is right.its better to visit Pattoki in the season normaly after 10th Jan roses are avble for sale.try DR nursery & Changa nursery.they are leading breeders in Pattoki.
Omar

Post by Omar »

thanks, will mark a reminder to visit Pattoki in the mid of Jan.

Return to “Roses”