Wild rose and its Fruit

Moderator: Izhar

Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Wild rose and its Fruit

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I saw some wild roses planted naturally at the jungle in Shogran with no flowers but fruits. What is the use of wild rose fruit? I got some of them from the jungle at Paye(Shogran). I have listened that they are used in medicine. Are they edible?
Attachments
IMG_3230.JPG
IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG
Mustansir Billah

Re: Wild rose and its Fruit

Continued...
Attachments
Its fruit...
Its fruit...
IMG_3233.JPG
IMG_3231.JPG
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I guess its just a seed pod, that is there because of the favorable environment at shogran.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Rosehip syrup made from rosa canina and rosa majalis hips has been used in the UK for years, it is dripping with vitamin C, (contains 20 times more of it than oranges) and has long had a reputation as an immune system boost for keeping colds/flu at bay all winter.

For Rose hip powder made from the extracts of Rosa Canina claims have been made that the compounds relieve pain in Osteo Arthiritis, sports injuries to the joints and rheumatoid arthritis (RA). There is a reasonable amount of research to support this. A meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials has recently been published that somewhat supports the use of rosehip powder as a useful anti inflammatory and anti oxidant in symptomatic OA.1. There are some users who have stated that the supplement has benefitted them.

Rose hips can also be fed to horses to improve coat condition and to help with new hoof growth, the powdered form fed at the rate of one teaspoon a day and the dried crushed form at the rate of 15-20g per day, alternatively add fresh rosehips to the feed.

I have included a recipe for the syrup but not for the powder as that is commercially produced and is currently retailing at around £30 per month for the high initial dosage recommended. Over a period of time this can cost patients a lot of money.

Far from being austere, though, rose hip syrup has a surprisingly tropical tang, with notes of lychee and mango. Diluted with about five parts cold water, it makes a delicious cordial drink, which kids will love, and a fantastic autumn drink for grown-ups. It's also an indulgent addition on ice cream, gulab jamun and zardah pilau. You can also use it as a sweetener on kheer, yoghurt or dalyah.

1kg rosehips, washed and chopped ( best done in your food blender but add a little water to help break them down)
1kg white sugar
You will also need a jelly bag (or a clean cotton cloth and a big sieve)

Put two litres of water in a large pan and bring to the boil. Throw in the chopped rosehips, bring back to the boil, then remove from the heat, cover and leave to infuse for half an hour, stirring from time to time.

Strain the mixture through a jelly bag. (Alternatively, line a colander with a couple of layers of muslin and place over a large bowl. Tip in the rosehip mixture, and leave suspended over the bowl.) the straining is important as rose hip seeds act as an irritant in the gut lining of human stomachs.

Set the strained juice aside and transfer the rosehip pulp back to the saucepan, along with another litre of boiling water. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat, infuse for another half an hour and strain as before. Discard the pulp and combine the two lots of strained juice in a clean pan. Bring to the boil, and boil until the volume has decreased by half. Remove from the heat. Heat does destroy vitamin c but the rosehips contain so much that only around 15% is lost in this process.

Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Return to the stove, bring to the boil and boil hard for five minutes. Pour into warmed, sterilised jars or bottles and seal. Once opened use within a week alternatively you can batch freeze the syrup in ice cube trays.
Mustansir Billah

Nice Information Newton sb. JazakAllah!
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

Mustansir you seem like a rose-freak just like me! :D
Mustansir Billah

Hmm!:)
Khalid Abro
Gardening Interests: Cacti & Succulents, Fruit Trees, Vines, Herbs & Vegies

Post by Khalid Abro »

I have put many times rose hips in my green tea and have enjoyed it.
omerkhalid
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Love to grow all types of plants especially Vines, Succulents, bulbs and many more

Post by omerkhalid »

Well here are two pictures of these flowers growing in Naran :)
Attachments
CIMG0750.JPG
CIMG0746.JPG
Mustansir Billah

Nice! I didn't see any of the flowers because it was time for them to give fruit.

Return to “Roses”