rose buying trip to pattoki

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: rose buying trip to pattoki

Post by KBW »

muhammad umer wrote:
KBW wrote:Umer bhai! What exactly do you mean by a mother plant. Do you mean original own route / grafted rose that was imported or you are just talking about a 3-4 yes old bush which is now very well established?
Regards
well its not a standard term, nursery men use this word for the established rose which is not own root mostly, this plant is used as a source of buds for grafting onto root stock , and selling the the product in rose season. I guess they must have own roots too, but i mostly saw grafted ones which were well established being referred to as mother plants.
OK. This means that most probably these are well established bushes of locally grafted roses. That is good because local nurserymen in Pakistan use Rosa centifolia as a root stock which is a very hardy and vigourous rose that performs very well in Pakistani climate. Most of the imported grafted roses, specially those imported from USA, use Dr Hue as the root stock. As per my discussions with friends in USA, Dr Hue does not perform that well in very hot weather. It will be a good buy if you can lay hands of some of these old bushes.

Mustansir Billah wrote:What is the age of roses which are brought to Karachi from Pattoki in December or January.
In Pattoki, they graft roses mostly in July, so they should be 5-6 months old plants when they arrive in Karachi. Please keep removing the buds first year and you will have a much healthier bush second year.

regards
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

JazakALlah KBW sb.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

I agree on the Dr Huey rootstock from the USA that it does not do well in hot climate. I have lost a couple of plants. Down south in the USA where it's hotter they are using Fortuniana as rootstock now.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Dear rose lovers and experts, i need single flowered roses.. any variety available there?
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

By single flowered you mean Hybrid Tea or the flower itself with single petals?
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Dr. sb. like Dortmund rose
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Ahh yes! Most people don't like singles but I too am looking for Peter Beales, Jacquelin du Pre, Lyda Rose which are single or almost single. I guess ill know for sure when i visit Pattoki mid-November. If available I think it won't be a problem mailing you since they can go bare root.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

BTW Dr. sb. in April this year i was in Islamabad and bought a rose similar to Dortmund rose in appearance... however since the blooming season is yet to arrive, i have only seen under developed blooms on it...
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Izhar Saheb there are so many similar looking roses. If you are not particular about any variety just but what pleases your eye. Brig Saheb goes for what is pleasing to the eye in roses only and doesn't worry too much about ID. For me, I am a sucker for any plants ID. The ones I don't know will likely be discarded. However for most plants now ID is not an issue due to this forum and Dave's Garden.
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

aykhan wrote: However for most plants now ID is not an issue due to this forum and Dave's Garden.
Agreed Sir but with roses, ID is at times quite difficult, specially if only the pic of flower is available for reference :)

Return to “Roses”