Rose advice

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Rose advice

Post by KBW »

Sir I think members from Lahore will be able to give a better adivce. I grew roses in Okara which has a harsher climate so I would assume roses doing well in Okara should do well in Lahore as well. But this is a generalisation and lot could change with change in conditions particular to your house with regards to sunlight, soil type, texture, quality, drainage etc as well as the cultivar being planted. However, I can name some of the roses which particularly did well in my home in hot Okara climate.

1. Caprice de Meilland.
2. Fragrant Cloud
3. Whisky Mac
4. Glamis Castle
5. Queen Nefertiti
6. Lavaglut
7. Saeeda Kareem
8. Fairest Cape
9. Century II
10. Snowfire
11. Cherry Parfait
12. Guy Savoy
13. The Pilgrim
14. Golden Celebration (part shade)
15. Night Life
16. Cinco de Mayo
17. Marvelle
18. Helen Naude
19. Morris Utrillo
20. Scentimental
21. Rhapsody in Blue
22. Electron

The names have not been given in any order however if you ask me the best of them all, it was Caprice de Meilland. Highly fragrant, very majestic bush and lots and lots of flowers most of the year. I have not included miniature / patio roses here.

Please do ensure proper soil preparation before planting the roses which may be done next month. Try to buy own route but they may not be readily available. May get a few from Changa though. Grafted will be easily available but try to buy healthy bushes grafted in Jun/July 2012, not this year.
Best of luck and happy rose growing. :)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Thank you KBW, I plan to cultivate own rooted, large bush and large flower roses only. I will start search at pattoki and plant my own cuttings.
Arif
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

You are most welcome Sir. :)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

I have to trans plant about ten 3 year old rose plants , I have been advised to do so in December/January but I cannot wait I require the space in another two weeks. I am thinking of lifting them with GACHI, How big the Gachi should be?
Please advise
Arif
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

And you will loose them easily.
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

At least wait till 3rd week of Oct. 3 yrs of old roses are really asset.
Rafique
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:And you will loose them easily.
OK I give up.
Thanks
Arif
riaz
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Horticultural specially roses and interest in fragrant and bulbous plants

Post by riaz »

Well arif sb, your rose experience is almost same as of mine, my most plants died, turned their stems black, few of them are flowering but size of flowers are too small, and not that beautiful when I bought them with flowers last years :-(
Riaz
riaz
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Horticultural specially roses and interest in fragrant and bulbous plants

Post by riaz »

Enormous information about almost everything I have searched, whenever I visit this forum I spent hours in reading and browsing various topics. All of the members are so sweet :-)
Riaz
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

AoA
Friends, This month is dedicated to Roses.
Dark coloured roses are not so prominent in mixed bed so I plan to put them in pots, what in your opinion is the right size of pot for a rose bush?
I plan to get some Standard Roses to be planted in Daylily beds and Annuals beds, would it be better to keep them in pots for a year or should I put them in directly now.
What should be the composition of soil and PH for the pots.
Thanks
Arif

Return to “Roses”