Rose problems

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Rose problems

Post by khabbab »

AOA,

I have planted some roses in the pots (having loose soil and old cow manure), my plants are young and i would like to know following:

1- what diseases/pests i should expect in coming months. E.g Which months are problem free and which month need spraying specially in lahore climate. Which months carry aphid problems and in which months the fungus problems occurs

2- Is is true that there are only 2 main problems, The aphids and the fungus (mildew, black spot etc.).
3- How often i should spray anti fungus for preventive measures? I Assume anti aphids need to be sprayed only if i see aphids on the plant
3-I heard do not water the leaves of roses to avoid fungus but at the same time foliar spray to roses is fine which seem contradictory.
4- It is recommended to have full sun for all roses even in pots. But on my terrace in summer the temp exceeds 110F should i still keep them in full sun?

I Also assume no fertilization for first year and also no pruning for first year.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Rose problems

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I have few roses but from where i am here we have mass rose plantations. Roses here are not DESI but of good variety. The colors, size & Numbers of bloom etc of roses in spring is matchless but other than that its a sad story. Roses as i have perceived them are not meant for our climate i am saying this considering the vigor of the plant, bloom size and number. Spring is the only time when they are able to perform their best as the temperatures rise, Roses JUST SIMPLY FAIL to deliver. In fall they do bloom again but those are worthless blooms. As you said roses require constant care against aphids and fungus. Most of the people(here also) leave them alone after spring till pruning in late winter which is a long time and its because of heat and fungus which is unstoppable. One might argue that many plants bloom once a year, agreed but the sorry state roses are in throughout the growing season(due fungus attacks) is just heart breaking at least for me.

Aphids (early spring to early summer and then again in fall)
Fungus ( All summer long till frost)
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Agreed with Farhan,
Summer story of roses
wrinkled small leaves, new growth getting smaller and smaller, catching every pest in the book... indeed a heat aching sight
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

But i have seen many english roses growing in lahore and flowering in summer as well. I have talked to the rose growers and they say that english roses are very tolerant of heat. If heat is not the issue and spraying takes cares of the pests/disease then what is the real culprit?
Lahore gardening blog
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Khabbab bhai, if you have seen healthy blooming roses in the summers then kindly check the variety... it will be beneficial for us to have a heat tolerant varieties of roses.. in Karachi the roses seems to bloom year round in the nurseries or in large shrubs but when you come closer to the plant you will get the idea about plant's health.. none of my roses stopped producing blooms but i continuously removed the buds... now they have started sprouting with vigor...
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

The story is true for roses in our climate but i belive there are heat tolerant varieties as well i have a white floribunda almost 6 years old its produces alot of flowers in the summers but the the quality of bloom is still afftected. I would suggest you try floribundas though they gain height and become lanky but with 15-20 branches producing blooms is indeed worth the effort.
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

I have also read that miniatures not only perform better in pots but they also exhibit more tolerance to heat and diseases as compares to normal roses. Is it true?

PS: Lets keep aside big blooms, heavy fragrance and blah blah. We are talking about a plant flowering many times a year reliably in pot.
Lahore gardening blog
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

In Karachi, i have found minature roses behaving same as their bigger siblings... in my limited experience, Floribunda Rose 'Iceberg' is one of the most floriferous roses..
A desi rose bush in my office is in partial shade and it blooms sparsely and grows excellently during the summer... it was attacked only by the scale insect..
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

By no means i want to disappoint you regarding roses. But it is reality, other than spring i have not seen a healthy rose at least in KPK( Abbotabad excluded) and "when one has seen roses in spring then their barely living state(and few seldom smaller blooms) in the summer months is meaningless".

Regarding the fragrance i have noticed that their smell is much reduced in hot weather.

Just to stress a little, here we have 200 Malis looking after plantations. Many having 25 years of experience and maintaining healthy plantations is not only their duty but the prestige of our institution. If the fight to keep roses healthy round the year was anywhere possible it would have been done.

I will try to capture present state of roses....

just a reminder how they will be in spring.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=832&hilit=paf+academy
muhammad umer
City: lahore

Post by muhammad umer »

A.S.A.
I would be obliged if someone could guide me , as to where i may buy ( for roses, am a rose enthusiast), the following,

imidaclopamide or any antifungal which works in lahore for rose leaf.

regent or aphid killer insecticide.

Also, could anyone guide me how to salvage a hybrid tea roses from root canker.

i know akbari mandi location but its not approachable, is there some place near dha where i can get the above fungicidal and pesticide.

regards.
umer.

Return to “Roses”