Reply from David Austin Rose

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Reply from David Austin Rose

Post by aykhan »

I think David Austin is saying a lot of bull. I brought many David Austin roses from the US recently from a secondary nursery as well as David Austin also. DA acts like their roses are nowhere in the world when the fact is they are everywhere, probably even in Pakistan it's just that we don't know for sure since nurseries mostly don't know the exact rose they carry. I talked to the USDA about taking plants out of the US and they said that USA does not have any problem with taking plants overseas but the country where you are taking them might have a requirement which is usually a phytosanitary certificate. It was true since they checked my plants out at two aiports but let them through for the flight to Pakistan. Pakistan requires a phytosanitary certificate and an import permit. I took the risk and brought them anyways thinking if they confiscate them at Lahore airport then I will just call it fate and then be biotter about losing my precious roses. I didn't get a phytosanitary certificate since the process was longer than the time I had and I was very busy working there and just couldn;t make it happen. It was either risking the plants for confiscation or not bringing any at all. At Pakistan since most of the plants were own root bands and very small and customs usually is looking for electronics so my roses were not detected. :D They are patented roses though and there is liability if one openly propagates them for sale without a license from David Austin .......
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Ray of hope, thanks aykhan... so will they grow well in climate like Karachi? any thoughts?
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I think our climate might be too harsh be it Lahore or Karachi. However, that only means their bloom time will be shorter. David Austin does list many roses for Zone 10 tolerating upto 40 degrees. In Lahore May and June are definitely much more than that. I will try these out but likely I'll know for sure next year how long they bloom since for now they are young plants and bare roots and I have them in filtered light.
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

javed khaanzada wrote:
oyfili wrote:in the European Union and so Italy you may import a max of 5 plants from outside the common space. You should check your local custom office and ask them. Looks like they do not want their roses to be exported to Pakistan as the documents including the eventual phytosanitary certificate would be the same if they ship roses to you or to another country..
Dear oyfili, Good advice, I should contact custom officials first.

Regds-javed
Contact Plant Protection dept or Plant Quarantine in Karachi to get an import permit.You can then import plants.
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

UMAR KHAN wrote:Adnan can any one bring cut flowers to Pkistan.i mean to say cut flowers are not bann.so you can easily get some buds & graft them.one of my friend told me that some nursery men import cut flowers specially from Holland for this purpose.the long stem roses have some buds.but one thing which is major factor is the right time.if you get some buds in moonsoon you can increase your sotck.
But you'd not want those roses.90% are red whereas you'll be looking for colors which are not so common.Moreover it's easy to import 20 bareroot plants than 20 cut flowers.
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

Rizwan wrote:
javed khaanzada wrote:
Rizwan wrote:javed.

i have david austin roses two diff types i got them from poplars nursery which is near luton on the motorway, you sister can get the roses from there instead of online this way she wont have to pay P&P one is climber and one is bush, NOW the certificate you need will cost £50 one of fee, no matter if its a huge box or one cutting, its not really worth it...

ps, thing is i know ppl who have taken fruit cuttings from uk to Pakistan and got through without any problems..
Thnaks Dear Riwan for updates. So firstly she needs a certificate, would you like to tell me from which department she has to get such certificate?

Regds-javed
the thing is the customs on your end will ask for it, if you sister gets stopped, doubt if she will..

here is the website but this is government website in uk, so dont know about Karachi and what the requirements are. i have sent seeds and bulbs through family members in the past to Pakistan and NOT ONCE have they been stopped by customs in UK or pakistan.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... =RESOURCES

Pakistan custom/quarantine will only stop you if you have brought plants in bulk.They'd not care if you have 20-30 plants.
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

aykhan wrote:I think David Austin is saying a lot of bull. I brought many David Austin roses from the US recently from a secondary nursery as well as David Austin also. DA acts like their roses are nowhere in the world when the fact is they are everywhere, probably even in Pakistan it's just that we don't know for sure since nurseries mostly don't know the exact rose they carry. I talked to the USDA about taking plants out of the US and they said that USA does not have any problem with taking plants overseas but the country where you are taking them might have a requirement which is usually a phytosanitary certificate. It was true since they checked my plants out at two aiports but let them through for the flight to Pakistan. Pakistan requires a phytosanitary certificate and an import permit. I took the risk and brought them anyways thinking if they confiscate them at Lahore airport then I will just call it fate and then be biotter about losing my precious roses. I didn't get a phytosanitary certificate since the process was longer than the time I had and I was very busy working there and just couldn;t make it happen. It was either risking the plants for confiscation or not bringing any at all. At Pakistan since most of the plants were own root bands and very small and customs usually is looking for electronics so my roses were not detected. :D They are patented roses though and there is liability if one openly propagates them for sale without a license from David Austin .......
Many friends and relatives of mine have brought plants with themselves without any documentation and items never got confiscated.The best they'd do is to charge you with a fine.They never bother abt 10-20 plants.
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

waleedzaffar wrote:can seeds or bulbs be brought in baggage from another country to pakistan!
Yes, if they are in small quantities.
javed khaanzada

Post by javed khaanzada »

aykhan wrote:I think David Austin is saying a lot of bull. I brought many David Austin roses from the US recently from a secondary nursery as well as David Austin also. DA acts like their roses are nowhere in the world when the fact is they are everywhere, probably even in Pakistan it's just that we don't know for sure since nurseries mostly don't know the exact rose they carry. I talked to the USDA about taking plants out of the US and they said that USA does not have any problem with taking plants overseas but the country where you are taking them might have a requirement which is usually a phytosanitary certificate. It was true since they checked my plants out at two aiports but let them through for the flight to Pakistan. Pakistan requires a phytosanitary certificate and an import permit. I took the risk and brought them anyways thinking if they confiscate them at Lahore airport then I will just call it fate and then be biotter about losing my precious roses. I didn't get a phytosanitary certificate since the process was longer than the time I had and I was very busy working there and just couldn;t make it happen. It was either risking the plants for confiscation or not bringing any at all. At Pakistan since most of the plants were own root bands and very small and customs usually is looking for electronics so my roses were not detected. :D They are patented roses though and there is liability if one openly propagates them for sale without a license from David Austin .......
Very well said Dr sb...."a lot of bull".
In last few months we have faced lot of problems at Lahore airport. Earlier we arranged shipments of birds from UK & Germany with no problems. Now they started to create problems. Its very surprising that when society decided to sent some birds from such shipment to Karachi & Hyderabad, they again demanded heavy bribe, which was impossible to pay....so they sent them via road. I dont know how they would treat with bare roots.... :roll:

My another fancier friend is going to US for three months, will get some pairs of Lee jeans for me, will return in the end of August, will stay in London for one week to buy some quality budgies, probably he could be helpful for me to get some DA bare roots from US. I do have very good contacts at Karachi customs, I dont think I would face any problem there.

Regds-javed
javed khaanzada

Post by javed khaanzada »

aykhan wrote:I think our climate might be too harsh be it Lahore or Karachi. However, that only means their bloom time will be shorter. David Austin does list many roses for Zone 10 tolerating upto 40 degrees. In Lahore May and June are definitely much more than that. I will try these out but likely I'll know for sure next year how long they bloom since for now they are young plants and bare roots and I have them in filtered light.
Can any one advice me, what would be the result of DA roses in Hyderbad....if you think they will survive then I will think to arrange them.

Regds-javed

Return to “Roses”