Air Layerin Roses? Success at last!

Moderator: Izhar

dragoonsers
City: Karachi

Re: Air Layerin Roses? Success at last!

Post by dragoonsers »

aykhan wrote:There's no problem as long as you're scalping just roses :lol:

What so you mean by light getting into the plastic? As far as I know light will stimulate root growth that's why cuttings are advised to be preferably put in dappled light rather than total shade?

Light getting into the part where roots are formed. Cuttings are placed in light but the roots form underground in the dark. Here, roots will be forming in the air per se, and that area must not receive light! ;)
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Hmmmm.......smart. That makes perfect sense.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

What did you use to block the light? I'm thinking maybe beat would be foil. It'll reflect the light also so probably less heat up inside!?

There is one issue in layering now. Usually the stems which have flowered are the ones from which we take cutting since after the bloom nature primes them for rooting and even in those the highest chance of success is the topmost cutting.

Anyways, what the hell.....lemme go try a few canes tomorrow :)
rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Best of Luck Dr.Sb and keep sharing your experiences( with images)............
Thanks
Rafique
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

aykhan wrote:What did you use to block the light? I'm thinking maybe beat would be foil. It'll reflect the light also so probably less heat up inside!?

There is one issue in layering now. Usually the stems which have flowered are the ones from which we take cutting since after the bloom nature primes them for rooting and even in those the highest chance of success is the topmost cutting.

Anyways, what the hell.....lemme go try a few canes tomorrow :)

Yes choose stems which have flowered, and roughly pencil thick. Not too thin, not too thick!

I did not use foil, maybe you can experiment! I cut black garbage bags and wrapped em around. Then I thought black stops light but absorbs heat. So i cut up a chawal ki bori (white colour) and wrapped it- it worked better!
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

It's a bit of an issue in Lahore as compared to Karachi. In Karachi it doesnt get as hot as Lahore in May and June. When the flowering stops and it's time for layering the temps will easily top 40s. I'm going to experiment on some ;ast years canes here and there and see what happens. Waiting for flowering is for sure going to flop the project due to the heat. If it fails, I'll try again in Monsoon towards end when roses start growing again.
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

It doesn't matter if flowering or not. Choose last years stem, it will do the job! Layer when roses are growing, and flowering, which means right now!
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Very educative. Thanks for sharing. :)

Return to “Roses”