Vase life of a rose

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Vase life of a rose

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

What is normal vase life of a rose? How to increase it?
Most of my roses last for a day or two, but this one is as fresh on 6 th day without even a change of water.

10th 0f March

On 15th

:?:
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Vase life of a rose

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

One factor could be the age of flower when plucked. Some flowers continue to unfurl even after cutting
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

I had asked one florist as how do they prolong the life of flowers in vases and she said that they add a powder (which they were selling) to water to prolong the life of cut flowers in vases.

I believe that powder has ordinary sugar and salicylic acid (a chemical used in the manufacture of Dispirin). Since you cannot get hold of pure salicylic acid, Dispirin can be easily converted into salicylic acid if we just let it sit in water for 1-2 days at room temperature.

For the sake of experiment, make about 3% sugar and 1 tablet dispirin (in 1L) and use this solution instead of water. Let us know how well it works.

Another suggestion is that florists cut a fresh base of the cut stem in water rather than in air. This also prolongs the life of the flower.
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

Sir it depends on some factors:
1. The RIGHT time to cut a rose- it depends from rose to rose. Some roses if cut too early in bud won't open. If too late, then they will last a day or two. Thick petalled roses (HTs) usually last the longest.

2. Placing the vase in a non-sunny non-windy place.

3. The stem should be cut at a 45-degree angle to increase surface area for absorption. Stem shouldn't be excessively long.

4. Every two days, cut the stem an inch- fresh tissue will absorb water better.

5. Make a solution: Various recipes on the internet. No need for expensive powders. Recipes typically include plain sugar, water, salt and somethin to make it acidic (eg. bleach, aspirin, lemon juice). Acid medium doesn't allow growth of fungi/algae so prevents rotting. Lemon juice provides electrolytes but can also increase rotting so try it and see.
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

dragoonsers wrote:Sir it depends on some factors:

5. Make a solution: Various recipes on the internet. No need for expensive powders. Recipes typically include plain sugar, water, salt and somethin to make it acidic (eg. bleach, aspirin, lemon juice). Acid medium doesn't allow growth of fungi/algae so prevents rotting. Lemon juice provides electrolytes but can also increase rotting so try it and see.
Nice tips...I haven't been able to find a vase solution recipe from a reliable or a professional source. And the clever powder makers never write anything on the sachet.

Some of the things that you list are almost killers as a vase solution ...1. salt and 2. bleach, which is extremely alkaline rather than acidic. Salicylic acid has something special, I haven't searched in detail, but the reasons must be out there. Salicylic acid may be available from some pharmacies in Pakistan (it does not easily dissolve in water :-)).

The British Florist's Association specifically says not to add copper coins, bleach, aspirin, lemon juice in water. They're popular tricks but they don't work, and they can't feed your flowers adequately.

http://www.britishfloristassociation.org/home.htm?id=41
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

M Farooq wrote:
dragoonsers wrote: Some of the things that you list are almost killers as a vase solution ...1. salt and 2. bleach, which is extremely alkaline rather than acidic. Salicylic acid has something special, I haven't searched in detail, but the reasons must be out there. Salicylic acid may be available from some pharmacies in Pakistan (it does not easily dissolve in water :-)).

The British Florist's Association specifically says not to add copper coins, bleach, aspirin, lemon juice in water. They're popular tricks but they don't work, and they can't feed your flowers adequately.

http://www.britishfloristassociation.org/home.htm?id=41
A couple things:

I'd suggest reading what I posted, in what context before goin onto discredit; Its something I have noticed on this forum, which is really sad.

My apologies for mentioning bleach as acidic. It is alkaline, and the purpose is to inhibit bacterial/fungal growth.

Salt: Every living thing needs salt. Flowers don't have roots and will depend on the water. Adding a bit of salt (a pinch to a litre) will not kill the flowers, but help by providing electrolytes. Adding lots of salt in little water will kill any flower/plant (which is common sense).

Lemon juice: The use is to make the water acidic-reduce bacterial growth and also provide electrolytes. Some people add sprite to make water acidic and provide glucose/sucrose.

As far as the BFA statement is concerned, the statement says "they can't feed your flowers"; I never said they feed flowers, nor does it make any sense that bleach or aspirin will feed a rose flower.

Lastly, you may refer to this link:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... wers-fresh

Or this link about a simple girls experiment published by the University of Southern California:
http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/2006/Projects/J1608.pdf
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@dragoonsers.....interesting thing in the experiment you have posted is that Tap water only also kept the flower fresh for seven days
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

farhan137 wrote:@dragoonsers.....interesting thing in the experiment you have posted is that Tap water only also kept the flower fresh for seven days
It is there even on 8th day.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Aoa Arif sb.Frankly speaking i never like to cut a rose bud in place it in vase.But i l try best to answer your question.when we come to cut roses,its very essential to know what variety is it.different varieties have different vase life.Vase life vary from four days to 25 days depending on variety.when ever we visit rose breeder we sites we can see two main products.Cut Flower products & garden flower products.The cut flower roses are also called Florist roses.Both Florist & Garden categories has the H.T & Floribunda group.Many Florist roses bushes are not hardy & cultivated in controlled green houses.
The very well known Black Tiger (Abrdecabra) was introduced by Kordes Germany as cut flower rose but lately when its hardiness was explored it was also sold out as garden rose.The red rose in your picture is the popular Kardinal rose which was introduced as cut flower.not only vase life , also note that it nor fades nor changes color to purple like the garden reds.some cut varieties even do not fully open to the end of the life.Gold medal & Super green are also very good cut roses.
the one which do not have good vase life are actually garden roses like Bejazo or Papa meilland has little vase life & also will change color to purple.Nirp International is one of the Wolrd,s top class cut roses breeder.they have very unusal colors.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

in general (means not being specific to rose) to increase the cut flower life we can add a little bit (pinch) of salt and a little bit (pinch) of sugar, the combination it require is more or less the same as we have in the drips that doctors use and another important point is to keep the vase/medium sterilised for that its best to put a sterilising tablet in vase with water it does help a lot usually available with medical stores or could be acquire from any dentist store
according to my limited knowledge ;)
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Roses”