Guide to Rose Cuttings

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Guide to Rose Cuttings

Post by aykhan »

I took rose cuttings for first time this year in January. So the pictures show 3.5 month old cuttings. Most cuttings I lost due to ignorance and lack of experience as well as negligence. Next year insha'Allah I expect my success rate much improved. I will take snaps today and post later.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Here are a few pics. You can see new foliage and also roots coming out from the pot below.

I'm thinking the best time to separate the cuttings will be towards dormancy in winter or when the weather cools down in Fall around Oct or Nov. I would like advice on this if Umar Khan Saheb or anyone else with experience in rosé cuttings can chip in.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

If this is the progress in four months than I think it's a very good progress. Umar sb will be able to give a better advise but I think these plants should be shifted to ground in end Sep / Oct, allowing them to establish in the ground for a few months before they are pruned in Jan next. Seeing the conditions of plants, I am quite hopeful that you will see a nice bloom next year though you may like to pinch most of the flowers. :)
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Once roots form the plant takes off so if I were to pot these now or put in ground and the weather remains spring for 3 months these will be reasonable sized bushes probably 10 times bigger than now. No buds first year for own root roses or grafted. If an own root variety is slow to progress then no buds till into second year when thicker canes come out indicating strong roots. If you see my post on Grade 1 Bare Root roses you can compare the roots of grafted and own root since both are Grade 1 that is 2 years old.
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Fascinating stuff Khan sb and I am getting more and more interested in this. Thanks for the details.

Could you name the cultivars that you found more appropriate for propagation through cuttings and those which are not.
regards.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

It was my first experience and I was away so most rotted. All roses are also sold own root. If they can do it why can't we! Try to root every variety and work for a future garden of only own root roses like I am trying. They look better and in the end almost all will perform like grafted ones.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I am also trying layering roses like dragonooser who has done it successfully.

Return to “Roses”