Guide to Rose Cuttings

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Guide to Rose Cuttings

Post by mikhurram »

Refer to the image attachment
Attachments
RoseCutting.jpg
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Re: Guide to Rose Cuttings

Post by aykhan »

I will add that a sterile medium is helpful and diminishes chances of fungus which gets into the cutting from below and turns it black. Also an airy medium. Cheap way to sterile medium is pouring boiling water over it till it drains from below. Then let cool before using. Use clean blade before making a cut, preferably with spirit. Also cut should be at an angle for more surface area to root. Medium moist but never wet.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Now comes the most important question, what is the right time for Lahore to take cuttings.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

First week or two of January. That's the best time to prune also. Some slight fluctuation may depend on how the winter is going to be.
ka_khan
City: peshawar

Post by ka_khan »

Could rose cutting be planted in any other month?
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

For our climate the winter months are best. Where there is snow, then one can take cuttings in spring and where it is mild weather neither too hot nor cold then anytime of year.

For Lahore any later than winters end will kill the cuttings in the May heat and if in Fall then the winter will likely kill them before they can root. One can try their luck anytime but chances of cuttings rooting will decrease.
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Khan sb, how much time it takes in Lahore for the cutting to flower. Do we have a well established bush by the end of second year in Lahore or it goes to third year?
regards
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I don't have direct experience on my own cuttings but I have had rooted cuttings purchased. The cutting WILL flower the first year. However, especially for own root roses please do not take any buds first year so the energy can go towards root development. Depending on the cultivar you can have a good sized bush first year but mostly it'll take two years to match grafted roses. My Benjamin Britten cutting became a monster in its first year so it's an aggressive rose. Others took their time and now in second year the bush is respectable size and bloom size is comparable to grafted.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

FYI my cuttings from this winter have rooted and now the roots are coming out from the drainage hole of the small 8 inch pots. I have lost many cuttings due to first attempt but still got a few rooted cuttings for Sharifa Asma, Double Delight, Strawberry Hill, Crown Princess Margareta, Maria Shriver, Crocus, Carding Mill and a couple more. Some cuttings rooted easily and other varieties simply refused. Hard to tell really which will root quick and which will struggle.
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Khan sb
Wow, this is great. If it grows to a full size bush within two years than it's great. I think our warm climate has something to do with it otherwise in colder areas, they take much longer. Hotter months could be a problem though in first year.

I have always preferred own root roses over the grafted ones. The flower size of own root will improve in third year and further but one doesn't have to bother about the suckers (which is the biggest problem with grafted) or damaging the graft. I think in the long run, own root roses are far more rewarding than the grafted ones.

Could you please post few pics of the rose cuttings from this winter and from previous year (just to see the growth rate).
regards

Return to “Roses”