Spider Mites on Roses

Moderator: Izhar

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Spider Mites on Roses

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Bayer,s Oberon is the only pesticide that controls all types of mites.Bayer really works.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

I am trying to get rid of spider mites but they came every second day then I again spray the soap water and jet stream of water then after another 2 days they again comes.
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Bayer,s Oberon is the only pesticide that controls all types of mites.Bayer really works.
Soln. is already suggested by umarkhan sb. please try it. i found it best.
Rafique
Mustansir Billah

UmarKhan's sb advice is always beneficial but I can't find it :cry:
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Wash them very thoroughly with water again & again for few days.
Mustansir Billah

Working on it. InShaAllah will get the reward soon
Hello1

Post by Hello1 »

Paul James is a US Master Gardener and is popularly known as the "Garden Guy". He hosts an informative show on HGTV and I remember and practice his advice about pests like spider mites and mealy bugs and that is to "Blast them off " with a high pressure hose. This time of the year, mealy bugs are a huge problem especially on plants like hibiscus.
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

I think i've written somewhere how to deal with spider mites on roses. Nonetheless, some pointers.

1. Go easy on the insecticides. Insects eat spider mites. Insecticides kill insect-no insects to eat mites-mites grow and the population takes off!

2. During an infestation, do not spray insecticide!! Most common misconception. Spider mites, as the name says, are from the spider family- and are not killed by insecticides. There are specific miticides available, as Umar sb. mentioned like Bayers oberon which eradicate them. But they are highly toxic to humans, and should not be used extensively because they damage plants too.

3. Best way is, to simply blast em away with a heavy shower. Somebody mentioned this already. Wash the underside of every leaf for three days and they'll be gone. To prevent re-infestations, early morning main shower your roses every two three days.

Hope it helps.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thank you Dragoonser for detailed information.

It is interesting to note that spiders are one of the most amazing animal. In-fact spider family is an extreme flyer, rather holds the record for highest flight. They have been observed by scientist flying as high as 20000 Ft.

They have an amazing way of dispersal. That is why there is no place in world including all islands where arthropods are not found.
Reason....once a spider hatches it straightaway runs to the highest possible point available. Over their it release its silk in a way that it makes a rough parachute like structure. It is important to note that this silk is extremely light-weight and tough. Then comes the wind which takes the spider flying. It is an uncontrolled flight and spider remains on the mercy of winds for height and landing place. High winds have been known to take them very high and thus very very far.

Spider mites share the same family of spiders, the arachnid.

The implication of the above mentioned information is that it is near impossible to control spider mite spread because of highly unusual, wind dependent dispersal., Spider Mites loath high humidity and direct water contact because they are air breathing insects with proper lungs.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Wash again & again & get rid of your roses.Washing i mean sprinkling water again & again is an easy way to kill your roses bushes.the mites will kill it its another thing but heavy pressure water daily on rose bushes keeping in mind that mitecides are toxic you will kill your roses your self by promoting black spot & Mildews.So the master gardener is wrong.i am a silent member now but where i,l feel some thing wrong i,l come friends.

Return to “Roses”