Secrets to Growing Healthy Roses

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Secrets to Growing Healthy Roses

Post by mikhurram »

refer to image
Attachments
Page 1
Page 1
Page 2
Page 2
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Secrets to Growing Healthy Roses

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

HAS THE INFORMATION HELPED YOU?
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Sir when I started growing roses 4 years ago the information about rose care and fertilization was mostly scattered on the net. While reading this article I found to be a very informative primer and by the time I came across the article I had the answers to most of my initial questions. and thought that by posting it it may prove prove to be comprehensive article for novices experimenting with roses. Some of the information written was news to me such as application of kelp which I have applied on some of my vines and the results have been promising and I intend to applying it also on them in a few weeks. For my roses I use john bower's rose fertilizer which has worked wonders for my roses.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Interesting info about kelp. Is kelp available in Pakistan at a reasonable price?

What effects did you see with kelp?
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Benefits of Kelp or Seaweed.
Liquid seaweed or kelp concentrate in liquid form is derived from seaweeds (Kelp) growing underwater or around shores. Kelp contains rich amount of minerals, trace elements, plant growth hormones as well as cytokinins (which influence cell division), enzymes and proteins. It is most effective as a foliar drench, increases bud formation in food and flowering plants, enhances immune resistance and strengthens cold hardiness. When applied to rose foliage, kelp deepens flower fragrance and colour. It should be applied during the growth stage.

Two types of Kelp manufactured by Vitax are available at Chanan Din Seeds Lahore. One is "Organic Seaweed" and the other "Seaweed with Sequestered Iron" around Rs 1200. i have used the "Organic Seaweed" solution. They ought to be available in Karachi as the proprieter of Chanan Din told me that the importer of these products is based in Karachi and presumably should be available in Karachi.
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Thanks for the info. Not surprisingly, it is pretty expensive. I have done some research work on the extraction of iodine from the seaweeds found on the Karachi shore. I had used fresh weeds and had to wait for a year for the right season. Karachi shores are flooded by seaweeds in the summer time along with deadly blue bottles (God save us from blue bottle stings!!). It is not true kelp per se but rather it is mostly Sargassum. My first impression was that it is the iodine that acts as a micronutrient for the plants but certainly this is not the complete story. I guess you are right that it might be the growth hormones that do the magic on the plants.

You didn't mention what effects you saw after adding kelp :-)
saifkhan
Gardening Interests: Everything which looks and smells good

Post by saifkhan »

Khurram sb, can you get phone number of kelp importer in Karachi by Chanan Din, as it is a very nice supplement for birds too. It helps to get them nice and color rich feathers.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Khurram sb. it really changed quality of fruit and flower?
Farooq sb. blue bottle sting(Jelly Fish?) is very very itching though I have not been sting by it. Though seen peoples reaction. :D May be due to salty water at sea shores Sea weed are a good source of Iodine because Iodine is used to treat salty water to make it drink able.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Mustansir i haven't applied the seaweed to my roses but applied it my clematis and in some of the varieties like Clematis Gypsy Queen the colour became became more darker (purplish).
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

JazakAllah Khurram sb. So, They really did some Magic. ;) :)

Return to “Roses”