Rose advice

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Rose advice

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

My experience with roses hasn’t been satisfactory.
Thrice have I tried and failed, yet there are a few rose plants that tempt me to grow some more. Three years ago I got about 36 roses from Changa of Pattoki and planted them in a long bed.
Many have died; others must be re-planted as the size of the bush is not suited to the location and some I feel should be in pot and not the ground.
When should I do so?
How should I go about it, Should I take out a root ball if so how big a GACHI or should I plant them bare root.

I also want to produce self rooted plants of my choice.
What is the best time for planting cuttings?
What portion of stem is best for cutting?
Recommended media (locally tried)?
How about planting them in a bed and taking them out the next winter? Or plant them individually in 6 inch pots/bags?

Rosarian friends for help
Arif
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Re: Rose advice

Post by rafique »

AOA.
Sir i cant challenge your experience and knowledge but with due respect i would like to share my this year eperiences which may be slightly different.
Two years back i planted 30 plus roses in soil beds(kiaries) and in post(12 to 14 inches). i lost all the rose till aug and sep (because of fungus,spider mites, die back and caterpillars). From april to sep these are major threats which i obeserved plus some water logging in heavy rain.

Again last year in november i got 60 plus roses and planted in soil beds and in containers too. At the time of plantation i added compost and ssp in small quantity. After a month when they are established then i started to feed these plants with very low dose of NP with each deep water. This is all with water and fertilizer.

As far as fugcide and pesticides i am doing as follow
When ever i obeserved the attack of any disease or pest on a single plant , i used the funcide or pesticide twice within 15 days.
But for whole monsoon i regularly used fungicide with gap of 10 to 15(max) days. As no fungcide retains its effects more than 15 days.

By following the above this time i am really successful in get survived healthy roses greater than 95%.
Only i lost those plants which i planted in last week of mar or first week of apr.
One more thing Sir, i kept all the pots on soil bed not on floor. Plants in pots are also doing well.

Sir against theory not to wet the roses leaves and not to give feed in hot months, i did shower the roses in may and june before monsoon but in the early morning to keep them fresh. And i also gave light dose of only NP with each water after 15 days.
Watered the plants in pots daiy and weekly to soil bed plants.

Sir till today the roses are doing well, but for tomorrow Allah knows better.

Sir Bset time to re locate and replant for rose bushes is dec herer in lahore as per the advice of Haji sb of changa nursery. He used to said that in december you can even wash the gachi and plant in new location safely.

Thanks and Best Regards
Rafique
rafique

Post by rafique »

AOA.
Sir i cant challenge your experience and knowledge but with due respect i would like to share my this year eperiences which may be slightly different.
Two years back i planted 30 plus roses in soil beds(kiaries) and in post(12 to 14 inches). i lost all the rose till aug and sep (because of fungus,spider mites, die back and caterpillars). From april to sep these are major threats which i obeserved plus some water logging in heavy rain.

Again last year in november i got 60 plus roses and planted in soil beds and in containers too. At the time of plantation i added compost and ssp in small quantity. After a month when they are established then i started to feed these plants with very low dose of NP with each deep water. This is all with water and fertilizer.

As far as fugcide and pesticides i am doing as follow
When ever i obeserved the attack of any disease or pest on a single plant , i used the funcide or pesticide twice within 15 days.
But for whole monsoon i regularly used fungicide with gap of 10 to 15(max) days. As no fungcide retains its effects more than 15 days.

By following the above this time i am really successful in get survived healthy roses greater than 95%.
Only i lost those plants which i planted in last week of mar or first week of apr.
One more thing Sir, i kept all the pots on soil bed not on floor. Plants in pots are also doing well.

Sir against theory not to wet the roses leaves and not to give feed in hot months, i did shower the roses in may and june before monsoon but in the early morning to keep them fresh. And i also gave light dose of only NP with each water after 15 days.
Watered the plants in pots daiy and weekly to soil bed plants.

Sir till today the roses are doing well, but for tomorrow Allah knows better.

Sir Bset time to re locate and replant for rose bushes is dec herer in lahore as per the advice of Haji sb of changa nursery. He used to said that in december you can even wash the gachi and plant in new location safely.

Thanks and Best Regards
Rafique
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Prune all the roses & uproot after 10th of Dec. Wash the roots & replant where you wish to see them. choose thick (pencil size) soft wood cuttings & plant in shady location in any well drain media.It will be good if you plant in pots.So when it gets hot you can move the cuttings in shady location.Upto 80 % cuttings sprout but we loose them simply because of the hot sun light.So to avoid that its good to plant in pots & keep it in pots till next season.
One thing i don,t know about Lahore.But once i tried to make my own root roses at Bahawalpur.I planted some cuttings of hybrid roses but they reverted back to wild stock.i think it was because of the heat.But here at Islamabad the variety comes true to the type almost every variety.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Rafiqe you sprinkle water in the early morning its alright because the water evaporates rapidly.But never sprinkle in evening because the water remains for long time & help black spot.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Thank you Umar, I think I will do it on new year.
Regards
Arif
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

These rose pots were being sold at a departmental store, the pots were only 8 inch size and there were 5 plants in each and looked like own rooted.

ARIF
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

They are own root roses and in nice condition.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Sir Arif these are green house own rooted roses.But from where you got as green house varieties are not easily available in our country.
rafique

Post by rafique »

UMARKHANMARDAN wrote:Rafiqe you sprinkle water in the early morning its alright because the water evaporates rapidly.But never sprinkle in evening because the water remains for long time & help black spot.
Thank you Umar Bhai. I was doing as per your expert advice. Grateful for motivating and guiding about rose plantation. Your advices weigh alot for me.

Regards.
Rafique

Return to “Roses”