Rose advice

Moderator: Izhar

rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Re: Rose advice

Post by rafique »

I think there is fog, frost and dew sessions in Lahore. Dew starts in Approximately in Oct End till Nov then in Dec there is dew or fog. The average min temp in Lahore starts in mid dec till first or second week of Jan(frost time). Its my observations, may be i am wrong or some one else can explain better?
Or can we consider From Nov till Mid Jan frost period in Lahore?
Rafique
rafique

Post by rafique »

Definition of Fog,dew and frost.

Condensation in the air near the ground produces fog. Water vapour which condenses on cold surfaces forms dew or if the temperature is low enough, frost.
Rafique
rafique

Post by rafique »

I think Koora in Urdu/Punjabi is frost?
Rafique
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

no rafique bhai i think frost means temperature under 0 degree.if i am not wrong
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

sorry ..you stand corrected..koora in urdu is frost..
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

My estimation is that in the first week of January, Temperatures in Lahore may drop to zero for few days, However as its a city area/with lots of heat generating devices. City itself may not have frost except suburbs/open areas
muhammad umer
City: lahore

Post by muhammad umer »

the first year is hard for newly planted roses in lahore due to the fungus and insects , i must agree i have lost roses, to the above two factors; before i joined this forum.

time teaches i didnt loose a single one of 30 or so new roses i planted last year.

my advice for lahore region rose growers.

1. dont prune for first two years . come what may.

2. first year keep spraying with baeyers Aliette . weekly from september to may. ( best antifungal out there)

3. feed with 5 15 45 npk foliar. 1 tsp in 1 liter weekly. from september to may. ( november, december fertilize twice a week)

4. DO NOT EXCEED THE DOSE OF BOTH ABOVE SPRAYS.

5. rule of thumb is when it gets too hot to go in your lawn stop spraying and fertilizing ur roses. dont stop watering, water regularly.

ABOVE ADVICE REGARDS NEW PLANTS ONLY . BEYOND TWO YEAR MARK THE ROSE WONT NEED ANY SPRAY AND WILL JUST SURVIVE AND THRIVE.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thanks You for great advice Umer Sb
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

I grew over 35 bushes this year, many of them DA roses. I did not use any insecticides, except on two occasions when I thought it was absolutely essential. Frequent use of insecticides, IMHO, has it's environmental hazards. IMV, best is to allow the plants to develop their natural system of fighting diseases / pests and they will do that if they are strong / healthy. Use of organic matter like ash, corn floar etc and washing effected areas with soap water helped during mild attacks. Instead of using an insecticide right at the outset, I used to wait and see for a while. When it became uncontrollable than the use of insecticide was resorted to, as a last resort. During whole season, I had to do it with only two bushes and all other roses, over 35 new and 15 three years old bushes, grew quite well.

IMV, good soil preparation is vital. If the soil mix is fertile, containing right proportion of desired elements and having correct pH level, it promotes good growth plus if the drainage is also good, it will help control the diseases as the plant will be strong. Soggy or poorly drained soil retards growth which encourages fungus and other diseases. Good mulching also helps. I normally used pine bark in my rose beds, basically due to its acidic qualities (pH 4-5) and their long life. It helped. Just my two cents.

Arif Sahib, Sir in my limited experience of growing roses, all do not do well in our climate. Therefore, one may have to select the right varieties that perform well in Pakistani summers. By and large, it is easier to grow roses in hot climate as compared to cold & wet climate, if one is careful during days of extreme hot weather. The flowering season will be short in hot areas during summers but one can be rewarded with a good second flush in Sep/Oct/Nov which is normally not the case in cold areas. A bit of study on the ultimate size, growing habits etc of a rose bush before the purchase might help a lot. Ghafoor sb at Changa can give a very good advice regarding those varieties which perform well in heat. Rose growing has it's difficulties but the reward is incomparable IMV. I curse myself for taking 30 years to understand this simple point.

Best regards and happy rose growing. :)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Sir, you have hit the nail on head, select the strongest few varieties thriving in Lahore.
Thanks

Return to “Roses”