rose buying trip to pattoki

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: rose buying trip to pattoki

Post by aykhan »

I agree roses ID is near impossible and even those you can need to be smelt for a confirmation (eg Double Delight is fragrant and Cherry Parfait not). There are just thousands of cultivars!
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Dr sb what Izhar meant is single petaled rose like the Fourth of July. Frankly speaking i don,t like single petaled flowers.But it dose,t mean they are not beautiful. Khubsurati dekene wali ankh me hoti hai to har phool khubsurat hai.
Dr sb i like to know the Ids of what i am growing but if don,t know & the plant pleases me its OK. Its not a Botanical garden ha ha ha.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

For singles, i had own root ballerina rose from changa. Not large flowers but always loaded with flowers.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
muhammad umer
City: lahore

Post by muhammad umer »

This is a the plant I bought. Have shifted it to graveyard.considering it is grown up. Will post pic after planting it in too. Am undecided on how deep to plant since its a grave yard. I want to go further a foot deeper and bury shoot of the plant to give it a chance against thiefs and to keep suckers under check
Attachments
20131012_123539.jpg
20131012_123414.jpg
Notice petal count and buds even with the plant in shock.
Notice petal count and buds even with the plant in shock.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

The graft of the plant needs to be about 2 inches above the soil line.

Khan Saheb I too will keep something beautiful if no ID but I actually like the idea of botanical garden where at every turn of the path you can appreciate something unique. I insist on ID since that tells me how to care for the exotic plants. Common native plants ideal for our environment is usually not an issue.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Dr sb Mari golds have started flowering here. My garden is full of Incas & Marvels these days with some Vanillas also. Have your started flowering.
I,l plant Petunia Madness, Snapdragon Sonnet, Pansy Mjestic giants II & Mimulus Magic. For that purpose i planted Golds on 2 ft spacing so that i can plant the cool annuls in the same beds.One thing Petunia Madness is not available in separate colors this season.
muhammad umer

Post by muhammad umer »

In my experience if you plant the graft and some of the stems under ground. The plant will last and last and resist drought, wrong sprays, mechanical trauma. And pretty much anything. Yes however basal growth will be very slow.
Attachments
20131012_123555.jpg
Another pic of same plant
Another pic of same plant
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Burying the graft is a common technique used in cold countries and cold areas of Pakistan like Quetta and Skardu where the temperature drops down to -15 or -20. It saves the plant during very harsh winters but even there, winter mulching can serve the purpose for the extreme cold months and many people do not resort to this technique now. I agree with Dr sahib that here in Lahore, graft should preferably be a little above the ground.

Regarding planting a grafted rose in graveyard, you will have to regularly inspect it specially during growth period otherwise there is a likelihood of too many suckers growing. An own root, preferably a local rose (Rosa centifolia, Grus en Taplitz) may also be considered.

regards
muhammad umer

Post by muhammad umer »

KBW wrote:Burying the graft is a common technique used in cold countries and cold areas of Pakistan like Quetta and Skardu where the temperature drops down to -15 or -20. It saves the plant during very harsh winters but even there, winter mulching can serve the purpose for the extreme cold months and many people do not resort to this technique now. I agree with Dr sahib that here in Lahore, graft should preferably be a little above the ground.

Regarding planting a grafted rose in graveyard, you will have to regularly inspect it specially during growth period otherwise there is a likelihood of too many suckers growing. An own root, preferably a local rose (Rosa centifolia, Grus en Taplitz) may also be considered.

regards

its more actually besides a grave, so the wild growyth will be in check, i guess i will go with your advice KBW.
thanks
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Izhar wrote:Dear rose lovers and experts, i need single flowered roses.. any variety available there?
Izhar wrote:BTW Dr. sb. in April this year i was in Islamabad and bought a rose similar to Dortmund rose in appearance... however since the blooming season is yet to arrive, i have only seen under developed blooms on it...
I wonder if you are talking about single(set of 4-5)petals white rose-probably a creeper,planted along some roads in Islamabad.I saw it 3 years back & it appeared very beautiful,looked for it some weeks later in various nurseries but didn't find it,as I didn't know the name. Some body guessed it to be "Mardan Rose" & arranged 3 plants for me.They have yet to bloom; hopefully they should coming season. Will post pictures if/when they do bloom.

Return to “Roses”