rose buying trip to pattoki

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: rose buying trip to pattoki

Post by aykhan »

Own roots are much better than grafted for most roses. Some Hybrid Teas have difficulty on own root but most English roses are aggressive and do great. Yes it takes longer for own root. With our severe weather in Lahore two years to see a good size plant. You will have to take care of the own root more than grafted but once established it will be a treat. Depending on aggressiveness of the cultivar some will be huge in just one growth season.
muhammad umer
City: lahore

Post by muhammad umer »

aykhan wrote:Own roots are much better than grafted for most roses. Some Hybrid Teas have difficulty on own root but most English roses are aggressive and do great. Yes it takes longer for own root. With our severe weather in Lahore two years to see a good size plant. You will have to take care of the own root more than grafted but once established it will be a treat. Depending on aggressiveness of the cultivar some will be huge in just one growth season.

That means i should do cuttings this december, also i would really appreciate if you would keep the offer of strawberry hill open, I will get most varieties this season, do give me your demand, i will remember to get them for you when i go to pattoki. i have roses to offer but all are unnamed, u can visit, and take any plant you like since i have all roses in 3 or fours, about 30 bushes exist now.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Umar I have a lot of rarer variety plants and I have most roses I need. Don't worry about exchanging anything if you do not currently have something interesting. Just come and pick up your Strawberry Hill in early Spring from me. It's from a cutting last season and I will have it in a greenhouse this winter so you will have a 1.25 year old plant all set to get going in the ground.

I lost a lot of cuttings last winter due to lack of experience. Remember to take your cutting in January first or second week. Keep in filtered light NOT direct sun. Keep moist but not wet. Most important is to have a WELL DRAINING medium. The regular bhal will suffocate any roots that form. I use sand and peat moss. I recommend coarse sand and sifted patta ki khad or compost or peat moss with sand being maybe upto 70-80%. When it gets warmer keep them in shade in the heat of May-June-July or they will die rapidly before you even know it.
muhammad umer

Post by muhammad umer »

aykhan wrote:Umar I have a lot of rarer variety plants and I have most roses I need. Don't worry about exchanging anything if you do not currently have something interesting. Just come and pick up your Strawberry Hill in early Spring from me. It's from a cutting last season and I will have it in a greenhouse this winter so you will have a 1.25 year old plant all set to get going in the ground.

I lost a lot of cuttings last winter due to lack of experience. Remember to take your cutting in January first or second week. Keep in filtered light NOT direct sun. Keep moist but not wet. Most important is to have a WELL DRAINING medium. The regular bhal will suffocate any roots that form. I use sand and peat moss. I recommend coarse sand and sifted patta ki khad or compost or peat moss with sand being maybe upto 70-80%. When it gets warmer keep them in shade in the heat of May-June-July or they will die rapidly before you even know it.

i will definately do that a well established own root d.a. would be great. Also plz as a favor, will you try to take cuttings of all your david austins especially the best ones (best in your experience), i understand i might not get that lucky in pattoki, in that case i should have some way of enjoying these great roses. and you can spread the joy, i would be obliged to return the favor, thanks
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Changa and Thekedar Nursery have every imaginable David Austin, Delbard, Meilland etc roses you can imagine. All for Rs25 each!
muhammad umer

Post by muhammad umer »

aykhan wrote:Changa and Thekedar Nursery have every imaginable David Austin, Delbard, Meilland etc roses you can imagine. All for Rs25 each!
Hahahaahaha. Thanks. You made my day sir. Am a happy man. I was told price starts from 40 to 200. I think he was trying to over charge me. Do u have any idea which one would be 200
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Maybe older desi bushes. Just get the grafted ones for Rs 25 and take good care of them. They'll be ready for cuttings in a year or two if they are well grafted on strong root stock and are an aggressive variety. I know Changa told me once that own root roses 2-3 years old would be about 3000 rupees. I think he was over stretching it. Last year we got maybe 1-2 year old own root icebergs from Changa and he charged I think 200 rupees. Then icebergs are easy to root and grow well on their own root fast enough like miniatures.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Dr. A Y Khan, Keep me in mind when pruning your roses this winter, for cuttings.
Arif
muhammad umer

Post by muhammad umer »

i see, thanks.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Brig sahib I will. I can also share some extra plants from last years cuttings with you. Will be in touch when I return.

Return to “Roses”