Rose Age

Moderator: Izhar

Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Rose Age

Post by Mustansir Billah »

How can we identify rose age? Is it difficult to Identify rose age?
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Rose Age

Post by M Farooq »

Someone illuminate us on this subject please. In my opinion, the simple visual test is the thickness of the branches which is rather a universal property...but is there a quantitative way?

Do daanth ka gulaab instead of a bakra.
Mustansir Billah

M Farooq wrote:Someone illuminate us on this subject please. In my opinion, the simple visual test is the thickness of the branches which is rather a universal property...but is there a quantitative way?

Do daanth ka gulaab instead of a bakra.
:lol: :D :lol: . But there is one thing that I heard is that one can determine age of any plant or tree by counting number of circles in trunk or main stem.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

You are totally right about the trees...you can easily see the tree rings to determine their age, but herbs and shrubs it is not-so-easy. You can search the keywords Growth rings in Herbs and Shrubs. There is tiny book by this title but it is not free, since I haven't read it I can't say anything. They use microscopy and cell staining to guess the age of shrubs and herbs. Actually your have raised a very interesting question and I can only appreciate your insightful thinking. Unfortunately, others are engaged by the coaching center mafia in the city at your age. They do not allow you to think outside the box i.e the textbook.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Does it really matter? is it in relation to the survival of the plant or health and productivity of the plant that you want to know?
What is the normal lifespan of a rose plant?
Arif
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Grafted roses are usually hybrid teas or other showy, newly developed roses. They do not generally live longer than 10 or 15 years, although the root stock often survives the grafted-on rose. When grown on their own root stock they can live for decades, especially if they are in a climate that suits them and have adequate water and soil fertility, otherwise after around 30 years they too will lose their vigour and flower production.

The world's oldest known rose is the rosa canina, which is climbing the apse of the cathedral in Hildesheim, Germany. Legend says it was planted in 871 A.D., which would make it more than 1,100 years old. Historical references were made to the rose more than 400 years ago.

The "Tombstone Rose," which grows in Tombstone, Ariz., is believed to be the world's largest rose. It is a white rosa banksiae, and its trunk is 6 feet in diameter. It was planted in the late 1890s.

Age is even more difficult to determine in plants that can be propagated by cuttings. If you remove a cutting from a favorite plant and root it in soil or water, when was it 'born'? When does it 'die'? If you take a cutting again from the newly rooted plant and re-root it? If the cutting was left in its original place on the tree or plant, it would eventually die; re-rooted it may live longer than the plant from which it came. If you re-root cuttings indefinitely, does the plant ever die?…..... You might argue persuasively that these plants are, indeed, immortal ."

Regards
Ifzaal
Mustansir Billah

I also know that it is foolish think to ask about rose age.But I always try to figure out things systematically.
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Mustansir Billah wrote:I also know that it is foolish think to ask about rose age.But I always try to figure out things systematically.
There is a saying "Either a fool or a genius, questions the obvious (thing)". Millions of people saw apples fall to the ground, but only Newton allegedly questioned the obvious thing...why do apples fall to the ground?
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Thank you Ifzaal, I have a beautiful grafted rose which is about if not more than 15 years old. I have planted Gardenias around it and tried to over feed the bed, to my surprise it has never been so healthy before. The suckers are still a regular feature.
muhammadRehan
City: karachi
Gardening Interests: yes

Post by muhammadRehan »

Salam all kindly tell me how can we identify age

Return to “Roses”