ROSE RACE

Moderator: Izhar

Sharjeel39
City: karachi
Gardening Interests: I just getting my interest over gardening but still an immature for gardening knowledge and skills.

ROSE RACE

Post by Sharjeel39 »

AOA ever

I am new to gardening and its my first month for this activity, i have already started kitchen gardening with tomatoes, okra, bitter gourd and etc.

But even after it ROSES still fascinates i want my garden hedged with roses of all kind, and now is the season of roses but i don't know where to buy these rose plants in KHI.
My mali is saying me to hold back sit and relax till the mid of January, thats the time when roses will rush into his nursery.

I have seen rose plants of his nursery, they sell plants with just one stem branches and couple of leaves with single rose flower on it.
I know one thing for sure that those plants will not make my dream of rose hedge for at least six to ten months.
and they cost around 60-70rs for each plant.

PLEASE suggest me that should i be a bit more patient or can i rush into another nursery and buy a bigger plant????

And also i want ROSE VINE i.e. climber i want roses all over the walls of my garden.

Please suggest me a nice and economical nursery for roses both branched and regular type.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: ROSE RACE

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Firstly, if you want to plant roses and for hedge it is inappropriate. Or if you decided then it will be lot of work. How will you protect them from blazing heat of sun in summer? As you are new to gardening I would suggest to plant ordinary plants and keep very few plants of rose for at least a year and then you will know the rose growing challenge specially here in Karachi. I had lost many roses for past couple of years too.
The thing I understood is your Mali is trying to sell his plants although nurseries bring roses from Punjab in December or January and they are small plants. The cost you have mentioned is very low it will be at least Rs.100 for a young plant.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Mustansir has given you correct advice.... roses look good only in winters of Karachi, while rest of the year you will continuously fight with the pests on them...

Buy desi rose which is much tougher and available through out the year... after its success, slowly switch to other rose varieties gradually..
Sharjeel39
Gardening Interests: I just getting my interest over gardening but still an immature for gardening knowledge and skills.

Post by Sharjeel39 »

Ohhh so that the draw back of lovely roses !!

INSHA ALLAH i will post my picture tonight and will want suggestions from you ppl, that what can be done in my garden.
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

I dont know abt heat and sun issues in Karachi But cost of one rose plant of size 1.5 to 2 ft with 3-4 stems is Rs 30 in Pattoki and Rs 40-50 in Lahore and Rawalpindi, as already mentioned by some member in another thread. Otherday I visited Abbotabad and on my way back to Pindi I stopped by a nursary in Haripur. I bought few rose plants from it @ Rs 40 per plant. All plants have 3-4 stems with 2-3 flower buds each. When Itried to bargain he said he got it from Pattoki for Rs 25 per plant then transportation charges, etc are added. In Karachi you should try to get them around 50-60 Rs... All the best...
Javed Ashraf.
Sharjeel39

Post by Sharjeel39 »

Thanks Javed Sahab for the information.

Return to “Roses”