roses fertilization

Moderator: Izhar

isaeed
City: lahore
Gardening Interests: ornamental trees and shrubs,vines.bulbs,flowers

roses fertilization

Post by isaeed »

I planted roses purchased from changa nursery pattoki.Their planting date was 3 jan 2014.I gave them their first feed on 2 feb.It consisted of rosefeed,bonemeal,epsom salts and compost.I intend to repeat this twice this year.Any suggestions on intermediate/booster feed and frequency would be welcomed with thanks
Irfan Saeed
hnasir
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Orchids
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Re: roses fertilization

Post by hnasir »

In my humble opinion, it is best not to fertilize till atleast 6 to 8 months after planting- some wait a full year.

Reason is:
1. The rose has it's roots chopped off so it will form new weak feeder roots which the fertilizers can burn.
2. If the rose is getting all the nutrients it needs, it won't send roots far and wide to search for nutrients (read this in a rose book).

Epsom salts/compost are okay. Bonemeal added at planting time is a good practice. But no manure, or other chemical fertilizers!
isaeed

Post by isaeed »

thanks hnasir
what you say makes sense and browsing the web pages I did come across similar advice.However I checked with haji Ibrahim of change nursery who asked me to go ahead and fertilise which I did.Also I came across the following web address that gave a rose calendar in which the rose planting date was exactly the same as mine and which recommended early fertilization,
Calendar for Growing Roses - Carolina District

http://carolinadistrict.org/roseinfo/calendar01.htm
so a bit confused
irfan
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Saeed sb. no matter if the date is similar to the date on this Web address you don't have to fertilize roses for 1st year after plantation and on website if it is written to fertilize then this is for their climate because there roses are dormant in Winters and wakes up in Spring and their main Flowering time is Spring and Summer and there summer is not harsh like ours so, they can fertilize.
hnasir
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

Irfan, I have agreed with most of your fertilization except rosefeed. Epsom salts though rose growers love it, has not been proven to be effective (I use it myself personally :D). Bonemeal/compost are beneficial as they release their elements slowly, which helps the plant establish.

Rosefeed can damage the new roots. When planting 'bareroots' which in our country means a plant which roots chopped off except a handful, chemical/synthetic fertilizers may be detrimental. If you look at bare-root planting on the internet, do notice the abundance of roots and if you can watch a few videos and you'll understand that our bare-roots are really not up to par.

For your convenience, I have found a local rose calender:
http://www.dawn.com/news/639462/nature- ... e-lore-iii

Best of luck with your roses. And do share your experiences, so we can learn from each other!

Hamza
isaeed

Post by isaeed »

Thankyou Hamza for your advice and thankyou mustansir for your guidance and forwarding the rose calender.
Being an amateur gardner and planting roses for the first time I was wanting to be able to show exceptional blooms and hence the interest in proper fertilization.May be gone overboard in this.Will keep you posted and continue seeking your advice
irfan
isaeed

Post by isaeed »

another thought .When i purchased the roses from Pattoki the plants were in bloom and each had a flower and buds.Would these be considered as established roses (and probably why Haji ibrahim allowed me to add fertilizer after a month of planting)or do they lose this status once transplanted.?
irfan
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Saeed sb. confirm that these roses, that you bought, were new or old stock and one more thing that the new roses are on buds and blooms repeatedly but these buds have to removed because of the reason already told. After a month after planting if Ibrahim sb. told you you can fertilize them with very low quantity.
hnasir
Roses
Citrus
Annuals

Post by hnasir »

They are established plants when you saw them- then haji does his magic and picks up the plant from the soil un-establishing it.

You will not be able to show exceptional blooms till the fall in November/December. Roses will take this time to establish roots and grow. Patience is the key here!
isaeed

Post by isaeed »

thanks gentlemen
mustansir.I am really not sure of the age of the stock but if was to guess they were of old stock.I just went out and removed all buds and flowers from the plants as advised by you.bye bye to them furthermore may reconsider further fertilization till sep-oct.
hamza.I guess the status of my roses cannot be assumed as established roses and ishould follow the protocol advised in the rose calendar forwarded by you.waiting for blooms in nov/dec bloom appear so distant that I was tempted to let the buds flower now.you are cruel(ha ha)
irfan

Return to “Roses”