Fragrant Roses in Rwp/Isb

Moderator: Izhar

Raja_Qaiser
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: New to Gardening.

Fragrant Roses in Rwp/Isb

Post by Raja_Qaiser »

Aslamalikum
Can someone plz tell from where can i get Fragrant Roses in Rwp/Isb? When ever i asked a nursery they say the only Fragrant Rose is desi gulab and rest are non-fragrant, i am looking other fragrant rose varities.
Regards
Qaiser.
Raja_Qaiser

Re: Fragrant Roses in Rwp/Isb

Post by Raja_Qaiser »

I went few nursries at Peshawer Mor Isb at one nursery there are different Roses, price per plant was 600 Rps. I asked why? Nursery man reply that there will be no suckers with this plant in future.
I want to know is this price ok or it is overpriced? And how is it possible without suckers?
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Have you seen our forum's database for roses? There are hundreds of roses with pictures and proper names (with qualities etc.).

http://gardeningpakistan.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1784

The desi-gulaab is indeed the best :-)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

And how is it possible without suckers?
Self rooted (from KALAM) are without suckers.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Brig Sahib,
Roses propagated through cuttings are also available at Changa Nursery and from Khushnood based in Quetta. Around 2 years ago the price of cutting was Rs 80 which now may be around Rs 100.
Raja_Qaiser

Post by Raja_Qaiser »

Farooq bahi thank You. Asal m Rose Database parhney k bad hi mujy pata chala k desi roae k ilawa b or fragrant Roses han warna jb b kisi nursery waly se pocho to wo yahi kehta ha k bs Desi Gulab hi Fragrant hota ha, or dusrey roses jo nursey pe hotey han wo non fragrant hi hotey han isi liye m ne pocha tha k wo fragrant roses jo roses database m han wo kahan kahan se milain gy.
Thank You M Arif Bahi.
I am new in gardening thats why i might ask simple questions which are being asked before, so mujy bardasht kar lijye ga. LoL.[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]
Which one is better Grafred or Cutting?
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Qaiser sb
Most nurserymen in Islamabad have poor knowledge of roses. You will have to search around at Peshawar mor. Al Fateh has a few fragrant roses. There are other nurseries in the same line who will possess a few plant of fragrant roses but you will have to search out.

The information by nursery walas that only desi gulab is fragrant is absolutely incorrect and only indicates poor information about roses. There are hundreds of quality roses available nowadays which are highly fragrant and at the same time, very beautiful too.

BTW, what we call "desi gulab" is not desi at all. It's proper name is Gruss an Teplitz and it is not a local or endemic variety. It's a Hybrid China which was bred by Rudolf Geschwind in 1897 in Austria/Hungry and sold around the world by German rose sellers. British brought it to India in early twentieth century. Gruss an Teplitz is an outstanding rose by any standard. It's exceptionally fragrant, blooms prolifically, is extremely disease resistant, can propagate easily by all three methods and can survive anywhere even when neglected. Not many roses in the world produce such outstanding traits. After all, it's one of the roses from OLD ROSE HALL OF FAME. Only 10 roses in the world have the honour to be included in Old Rose Hall of Fame and Gruss an Teplitz is one of them. Simply an outstanding achievement but you can well imagine the knowledge of our nurserymen about roses that they consider Gruss an Teplitz a local variety :)

After having grown roses for many years, I have restricted myself to highly fragrant roses only. Stay tuned, I intend opening a thread / database of Fragrant Roses, whenever I get time. For the time being, you can consult the available Rose Data Base.

I firmly believe that any rose without fragrance is ONLY HALF A ROSE. 8-)
Raja_Qaiser

Post by Raja_Qaiser »

Thank u KBW. Actully i went at peshawer Mor nursury specialy Al Fatah, person over there told me he has only 2 verities in fragrant Roses out which 1 was not flowered and other he showed was light fragrant.
same thing happend at another nursury who has good quality looking roses but still they cant guide me about fragrant rises even they are selling 600 rps per plant and they were not grafted.
U r right about knowledge, at one nursury i asked for gadenia plant and that nursry men said there is no plant name gardenia but we have gazania flower, after listening that i start thinking what should i do now.
Actully after that i left the idea of getting fragrant flowers bcz i have no idea from where i can get these beautifull fragrant roses.
It will be realy helpful when u make a fragrant roses database and also incude seller information.
Thank You so much for detail reply.
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Qaiser sb, you may visit Fateh Muhammad Nursery. He has good variety but his prices are a bit high and you have to be careful while selecting the roses as quite a few would be diseases. Shaheen Nursery (in the same line) has less variety but prices are very reasonable and the guy has good knowledge of roses. You can find healthy plants of Sharifa Asma, Scentimental, Maria Shriver, Sheila's Perfume, McCartney and few other heavily scented varieties. I prefer buying from Shaheen Nursery as he is a much better guy.
regards
Raja_Qaiser

Post by Raja_Qaiser »

Thank You KBW. I will visit shaheen nursery.

Return to “Roses”