Use of term wild rose (jangli) and desi gulab

Moderator: Izhar

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Use of term wild rose (jangli) and desi gulab

Post by KBW »

I have seen these two terms used quite frequently on the forum when discussing grafted roses.

Firstly, it has been stated at numerous places that the suckers sprouting from the roots or any place below the graft are wild / jangli gulab. Now we are talking about the root stock here and as per my information, most grafters in Pakistan use Rosa centifolia as the root stock. Some also use Gruss an Taplitz (surkha or desi gulab) as root stock. Are there any growers / nurseries who use any wild rose as a route stock?? Please share if you have any information on this ie, using any wild rose as a root stock by nurserymen in Pakistan.

Rosa centifolia, though included in the specie roses, is basically a hybrid rose. However, its very old and no proper record / details of hybridization are held with us. Even this is not clear whether the hybridization occurred naturally / incidentally or was purposefully done by a rose breeder. However, one thing is certain that Rosa centifolia, though a very old rose, is not a naturally existing rose but a hybrid. Since it is very old and existed much before the formal recording process of rose hybridization was started, it has been included in the specie roses. Please note that almost all naturally existing specie roses are single petal roses.

Secondly, about the term "Desi Gulab". What we call Desi is not Desi at all. It is Gruss an Taplitz which is one of the ten roses from OLD ROSE HALL OF FAME. It was bred by Rudolf Geschwind before 1897 in the former Austro-Hungarian Empire. This multiple award winning rose is so outstanding that it survives in most parts of the world and needs minimum care. Propagates easily by any method, is extremely disease resistant and keeps producing heavily scented flowers even when neglected. It was brought to India by British and it felt quite at home here. Probably our fathers of our grand fathers saw it growing every where and started calling it Desi Gulab or Surkha or as the nursery walas call it "Gruzan" (which seem to be a derivation of Gruss an Teplitz). By all standards, Gruss an Taplitz is a legendary rose. However, for most of us it will perhaps stay a Desi Rose always :D

Just my two cents :)

PS: Are most forum members on holidays or something :?
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Use of term wild rose (jangli) and desi gulab

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Gr8 Info....some real info after a long time :-)

Welcome back..
don't know about others but i was busy preparing a bouquet for you :P
Raja_Qaiser
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: New to Gardening.

Post by Raja_Qaiser »

Farhan bahi great bouquet, is m kon kon se rose han [WINKING FACE][WINKING FACE][WINKING FACE][WINKING FACE][WINKING FACE][WINKING FACE]
Thank You KBW Bahi, this is great info......
Raja_Qaiser

Post by Raja_Qaiser »

Ak bat to reh gai, ye jo jungli gulab (Rosa Centifola) ha ya jo suckers nikaltey han kya un pe gulab aata ha ya?
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Aray bhai gulab nahi Bananas lagtay hain uspay :P
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Good to see a rose expert back :)
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

PS: Are most forum members on holidays or something :?
KBW

Simply exhausted :lol:
Arif
Raja_Qaiser

Post by Raja_Qaiser »

Farhan bahi ye to confusing ha.....
Banana b lagtey han or gulab b or kya ye bananas b jungli hotey han?
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Thanks a lot everyone :)

Farhan bhai, what a lovely bouquet. Thanks :)
Raja_Qaiser wrote:Ak bat to reh gai, ye jo jungli gulab (Rosa Centifola) ha ya jo suckers nikaltey han kya un pe gulab aata ha ya?
Raja sb, Rosa centifolia is an outstanding rose by all means. Very hardy, very strong fragrance, beautiful cup shaped double flowers, can flourish both in hot and cold climates etc etc. It has only two drawbacks. One.... it flowers only during spring. Secondly, it is very cheap and common.

Gruss an Taplitz (Surkha) actually has only one big drawback. It is very cheap and can be found everywhere. Other than this, I have not been able to find any fault with it. If we somehow increase the price of Gruss an Taplitz, many of us might start liking it all of a sudden, I guess. It is an outstanding rose by any standards. A friend of mine who liked roses but did not know many names / cultivars once visited a rose nursery in Germany. He wanted a heavily scented rose in red colour and the nursery guy recommended Gruss an Taplitz, the multiple award winning Hall of Famer, along with few other rose. Not recognizing Gruss an Taplitz in a nice pot, he selected Gruss along with few other roses. The rose costed around 18 Euros to my friend. Back in Pakistan, when the bare root rose grew up and was blooming, he proudly showed the rose (which came with all the tags) to his mali who in a shocking voice told my friend that he has been ripped off in Germany. With lot of grief in his voice, he said, "Sir unhon ne is desi gulab ka dhai hazar khasoot lia aap se. Me aap ko 100 ke teen laa deta". So much for Gruss an Taplitz :roll:

regards.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Desi gulaab is a part of our culture from birth to death. It does have a special meaning in our lives. Interesting history_thanks to our rose expert! I was curious to check the literal meaning of the name Gruss an Teplitz from the dictionary and it has a sweet meaning Greetings from Teplice; the place where guy was born.

Just thought to share the picture of the non-desi man behind our "desi gulaab"_Rudolf Geschwind. (from Hungarian Wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Geschwind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Geschwind

Return to “Roses”