Tasks for October:
- 1. Do a good hoeing and tilling of your rose bed (6-8 inches depth) or if they are in pots then 2-4 inches (depending upon the size). Leave for a day to dry up.
2. Remove the upper 4 inch soil of rose bed and 2 inches if in pots.
3. Make a mix of the following materials:
a- Well rotted manure, it MUST be bad-odour free and moist ratio= 50%
b- Cotton seed cake, soak in water for 2-3 hours ratio= 30%
c- Fish meal ratio= 10%
d- Blood meal ratio= 5%
e- Bone meal ratio= 5%
The cotton seed cake is easily available at cattle/dairy feed shops, Fish meal/Blood meal/Bone meal is available from poultry/birds feed shop.
However, if these things are not available, you can use only the manure.
4. Mix this mixture in the upper 4-2 inches of your rose bed and pots and level up.
5. Now, remove all the dead leaves and dead canes.
6. Slightly prune the branches (1/4th of the total bush/plant)
7.Water it generously
8. Buy a general purpose pesticide, miticide. Spray weekly if there are no pests. (Pesticide e.g. Movento, Karate, Polytrin-C, Confidor: Miticide e.g. Oberon, Unique–M)
9. If there are pests then spray every second day until all the pests are removed.
10. When the new leaf growth starts, use water soluble NPK for spraying twice a week.
We shall be pruning heavily in mid November. So what are you doing for your roses???